Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 23, 2017, 04:15:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Saving the best for last

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving the best for last  (Read 357 times)
asianfire

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2015, 09:08:48 pm »

After a hectic couple of weeks, and the last Shopping-mall Santa-jobs done (pic actually from the last job)

Its time to ring out the year quietly with family and a couple more final projects before 2015 is done.

Filigree Agate, or there might be some other name that has recently turned up/been mentioned.

Chips, fractures, undercuts, etc., a pain to work if not stabilized, but such a wonderful stone to look at when winter is the theme.

The chosen shape is one of my favorites as it reminds me of home. Its shape is that of a Marterl (as we call it in our region) Marterls are a common sight around German and Italian speaking regions. I'm not sure if they exist outside those two regions. They are usually found in commemoration of someone who has left this life to early and/or as warning about dangers ahead. Most hiking trail-heads in my region of Austria have them. So basically, its warning as well as an invitation for prayer before starting on your adventure.

The following pics are of one and the same piece of cab, yet every turn gives you a different view and design.
FRONT

BACK

And showing the polish as well as chips and undercut

Now, I need to find someone who can complete my vision. Got two elements already ready, just needs to be combined and elaborated.

I hope to be able to talk a local gold/silversmith from my hometown into doing it, to have at least part done by someone who is surrounded by those Marterls every day. If not, will have to find someone else.

Now to close out the year, there is one more thing in progress. My worst nightmare. A head.
Fraser Agate Pebble, about half way through the cutting.

Wanted a wild man, yet it turns into a rather kind face! Never get what I want, it seems.

Happy save holidays, and thanks for looking, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/

Social Buttons

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 08:36:24 am »

those are really Kool, Kurt.............I especially like the Marterl.  Once that is finished you'll have a magnificent piece.

Did you model for the pebble man.....................He, he, he.................
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »

Very kool Kurt.  Really like the shape.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 07:01:30 pm »

Did you model for the pebble man.....................He, he, he.................

saved2 Saw some cool drawings a few weeks ago that I liked, but the guy did not answer my request for using his design.
So the pebble had a nose and a natural indentation just above, that gave me a starting-point. Everything is freehand and following the stone itself.

I got no beard worth speaking off, could use your face though.......... dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
Hummingbirdstones
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 07:10:56 pm »

There ya go!  Steve - take a selfie making a mean face for Kurt to copy and post it up.  You'll be memorialized forever in one of Kurt's creations!   yippie
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
domdeslagons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 09:56:28 pm »

The shape of the cabs are really great and your wild main is only Santa Claus!
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:12:21 pm »

Kurt--->WOW!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: