Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 23, 2017, 07:39:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Polishing stage in tumbler

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polishing stage in tumbler  (Read 236 times)
Larry Patrick

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2015, 04:39:21 pm »

Just finished 2nd round of rocks,but this time big ceramic pellets were in there. This time didn't get the shine,so cleaned everything just using small ceramic pellets like 1st tumble,does it matter? Plus added a little sugar and borax that I read some use.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

bilquest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:33 am »

I always run new ceramic pellets 24 hours (vibe tumbler) with fine grit as a 'break in' before putting them with stones. I also use different bowls for grit vs. polish... again with the vibe tumbler.
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:17:57 pm »

I'm a lazy tumbler! I grind with 60 grit for a month, wash the rocks, put them back into the tumbler and add rocks up to 1" of the top, add water and polish  and run it for another month sometimes 5 weeks. Unload and wash the rocks and load a new batch in. This has been my method for the last 25 years. I polish rocks for our wheel of fortune at our show. I run a 40lb and 2- 12lb tumblers 24/7.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Larry Patrick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »

Thanks for replys,just checked the tumbler,looks shiny,used polish powder,threw in a little sugar and borax,guess something worked.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: