Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 23, 2017, 07:39:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

4 inch grinder with diamond blade

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 inch grinder with diamond blade  (Read 234 times)
Larry Patrick

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2015, 06:16:49 pm »

Look forward to adding some equipment wet saw and some type of wet grinder for stones. Today I cut some bigger pieces down with 4 inch grinder to a good size to tumble them and make some pendants. A lot of dust and soon realize gotta get better tools,it works for now being a beginner.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Bruce

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:25:24 pm »

If you're cutting stone dry, be sure to always wear a respirator or at least a dust mask.  The dust can be rather toxic for certain stones, and silicosis is a danger as well.
Report Spam   Logged
peruano

Central New Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 06:47:09 am »

Wetter is better!  Or just to add to the safety message, the dust that accumulates in your shop is just as harmful after you take your respirator off (i.e. you need to clean it up or it will be there tomorrow).    I ground on shells for awhile (mostly wet but with an improvised grinder that left me with shell dust over larger areas, and which I grew to regret. Silica is bad on lungs.  So at the very least work outside and clean up well as well as wear the respirator.  Or better yet get a better grinder or trim saw.  Best wishes for new toys.  Tom 
Report Spam   Logged

Tom
Zoologist turned to Rocks
Larry Patrick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 06:27:07 pm »

Thanks for the heads up,plan on getting wet saw soon. Never knew certain rock dust was that bad,good to know.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: