Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 22, 2017, 05:33:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Belt buckle blanks and setting a cab

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belt buckle blanks and setting a cab  (Read 399 times)
Sherman

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:35:57 pm »

help I am canting to set a cab in or onto a belt buckle for my husband for Christmas 2015. So I need advice ASAP. Where do I find buckle blanks in which to do this;
what type of buckle am I looking for if my husband prefers the snap change type of belt;
What type of stone works better for a belt buckle cab (I would expect an agate or very hard jasper like bloodstone or such);
And any other advice deemed helpful for a hobbyist laparidarist;
I need ASAP... Thanks... Kris, aka Sherman
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

mirkaba

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:01:58 pm »

Pretty good selection of buckles here:  http://www.eloxite.com/collections/belt-buckles-and-bezels
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
Charles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:55:11 am »

I would second the suggestion of Eloxite. A very good selection of buckles.
Report Spam   Logged

wyrock

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:37:25 am »

I goofed when I photographed this buckle because I did not get a good shot of the glue on metal piece. What it is is a flat piece of brass with a hook on one end and a loop for the belt on the other. Just rough up the area of the slab that you are gluing to and epoxy the roughened brass piece to the slab. I was very limited with this slab because it was just a bit small so the loop is visible. With a larger slab that would not be a problem. There is no stress on the slab other than leaning over something hard but a solid slab is best. I wear this one all the time.

I do not remember where I bought the brass finding but it would have to be one of the large lapidary suppliers. You will not find anything quicker or easier than this method.
Jim

Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.
Sherman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:50:43 am »

Thanks, everyone. I've looked at eloxite, and while it doesn't have exactly what I want, I think I can find something that he'd like. Is agate the best material to use?

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Report Spam   Logged
Ranger_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 12:17:40 pm »

You can also try Tandy Leather:
http://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/buckle-back-ring-hook-1-1-2-38-mm-to-1-3-4-4-4-cm
or
http://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/rectangle-buckle-blank-2-5-1-cm
Report Spam   Logged
jerrysg7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 03:58:26 pm »

Check out Larry's Rock and Gems in Boise, Idaho.

Larry's Rock & Gems
5810 North Bogart Lane
Boise, ID 83714
Phone: (208) 853-1804

He makes sand cast brass belt buckle blanks in Yellow, Red and White Brass.  He does not have a web site but a call or note to him will get you his design sheet and price list.

I have attached a photo of some of the blanks that I have from him as well as 2 finished buckles. The buckles do not take standard cab sizes.  But it's easy enough to creat templates by copying the blanks and cutting out plastic stencil material.  The castings are rough and are finished with the cabs. In some cases the inside of the casting needs a little touch-up with a Dremel so that the cab sits flat.  I use epoxy (both 330 and JB Weld have worked) to attach the cab to the brass.  With the Tiger Eye buckle (lower right) the cab was shaped before gluing into the buckle and then both finished together so the cab stands proud of the brass. With the red jasper buckle (lower left) the rough cab was shaped to fit and glued in without shaping the dome.  Both the cab and the brass were shaped and finished together so the cab is smooth with the brass.  The belt hook is a little long but can easily be trimmed to fit the thickness of each belt.

* _B294540 Cropped.jpg (507.97 KB, 3607x1908 - viewed 15 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: