Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 24, 2017, 12:58:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Bench Height

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bench Height  (Read 600 times)
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:44:48 am »

I have one 18' wall in my "in progress" shop that is planned for counter space.  So my question is, what height or multiple heights should place it.

Laying out a 25 X 18 space is harder than I thought. 
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

Social Buttons

Charles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:00:31 am »

The answer my sound funny but it is whatever works for you. Is your kitchen counter comfy to work at for awhile without causing back pain or cramping? Would a higher counter work for somethings, but a little lower for others? I have some counters that are kitchen counter height, and yes there is a general agreed upon height if not told otherwise, I do a lot of my grinding and polishing setting at another counter height because that is easier on my back and it works great with my Pixie. One of my slab saws is on a counter slightly higher than kitchen cabinet height. Just my thoughts   hide
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:19:17 am »

Charles, that's my quandary.

I am thinking about 39" for at least part of it. 
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:09:25 am »

Are you going to be mostly sitting or standing at this counter. If sitting, sit in your shop chair and find the height that best suits your needs. If you're going to stand for certain operations, you could always have a raised section of counter for that operation. The key is a comfortable height for you, not what is considered the average height for counters.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:49:10 am »

Minimize any activities that make you stand to accomplish them. Over time your body will feel the stress of standing. All of my activities except stone polishing are designed for sitting, though I can sit while polishing. Because polishing for me goes rather quickly I'm not standing for a long time.
Your bench height should be determined by your posture as you sit. Avoid having to bend sharply at the neck.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

orrum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 09:49:57 am »

X2 Don!
Report Spam   Logged
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:25:23 am »

I use a drafting chair that is adjustable, so I will figure out a happy medium for sitting/standing.

Bobby, I do minimize standing...although I am a young 63 (today).
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 03:36:49 pm »

I try to do all of it sitting with the exception of slabing of course.  39" seems high to me but ?? what ever you want.
Bob is right... dunno
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
slabbercabber

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »

I agree, sitting for sure but no matter what, make sure you do not need to bend over.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: