Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 22, 2017, 11:12:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Floor preference

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Floor preference  (Read 774 times)
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2014, 04:14:44 pm »

Since I have  a tendency to drop things, I was wondering what would be an economical flooring choice for my shop.  It will be cement and I had planned to just paint it.  However, I dread to think how many stones I will break on that floor.
It will be around 500sf.

Does anyone have a wonderful suggestion that will solve my quandry?
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

Social Buttons

rocks2dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 04:30:09 pm »

You might consider rubber tiles (see this site for one type). The dark color with speckles might make it difficult to find a small cab or faceted stone that is dropped, but it should cushion the fall and also make standing easier on the feet. These interlocking types are easy to install yourself. You might search for other manufacturers to see if one makes something similar in a light, solid color on which it would be easier to find a small dropped stone, even if it would show dirt more. Anything is better than carpet, that can eat small stuff beyond retrieval, though.

There are softer, playroom-type interlocking tiles available, but they do tear and wear quickly which might not make for a good option. In a workspace, you probably would need to replace that type often (even a chair that gets moved around can rip them).
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 04:45:19 pm »

I had the tough duty grey interlocking tiles in my work space.  Did not like them for anything but standing on.  They seemed to collect a lot of dust/dirt underneath.  I do agree they would probably be better than just concrete.  Concrete is what I have currently and I don't think I will be adding anything to it.  Most of my stuff I do sitting down as that works best for me.  Dropsy can be a bad thing so maybe you need something like the tiles.

dunno dunno
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:39:35 pm »

Rubber tiles are a great idea.
However if you're looking for a cheap fix you can try low pile berber carpeting.  Get the cheapest grade you can find.  It takes wear and tear and in a few years, pull it up and lay down a new piece.  Soemtime Home Depot and Lowes will have carpet remnants too or have rolled up 10ft x 10ft pieces they are selling cheap as area rugs.  Those would work well too.  You could cut those down to size.
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:32:43 pm »

I'm wondering thou about the berber wouldn't findings get lost in it?
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

skystone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »

Home Depot cheap indoor outdoor carpet. Has no pile for things to get lost in. Will pad the floor enough that a stone probably wouldn't break if droped. If you have a chair with rollers it'll still roll. That's one thing I don't like about the rubber mat. I have it(rubber mat) on the floor around the polishing buffer & other standing areas but not at my work bench.
Report Spam   Logged
Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:02:06 pm »

I like the thick rubber interlocking tiles or industrial rubber mats.  Standing on concrete all day is hard on the body and feet.
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 05:28:50 am »

Thanks.
 I was looking at the interlocking rubber tiles and noticed there is also roll out mats.  The good stuff is alittle pricey...
 I will check out the carpet also.

Paint the cement and maybe use mats around the perimeter.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:42 am »

I had very inexpensive vinyl tile in my last studio, and loved it. It has just enough cushion to avoid breakage when you drop something, it comes in hundreds of colors, so you can fin one that matches your decorating sense and also makes it easy to find dropped small stuff. I like the 12x12 tiles better than large sheets, because it's easy to replace one if you burn/scuff/mutilate a piece.

I liked it so much that I'm seriously considering adding it to my current studio space, which has plain concrete for the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
Isotelus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 02:11:38 pm »

Here is what I observed from two professional shops I was in and out of often.

Faceting  shop, they drop stones too. Black Commercial Linoleum tile- the thick stuff with black high base molding. Easy to see everything dropped on the floor just sweep. No Floor clutter was ever allowed. Rubber mats at the one stand up area

Goldsmiths studio-six guys at the bench-light gray short pile carpet tiles. At the end of the carpets life it was peeled up and burned in a burnout kiln in an iron pan and the ash sent off to the refiner. Makes a great gold and filings trap for all the things the lap pan and apron don't catch.
Report Spam   Logged

Bryan
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 07:29:29 pm »

I have some very large pieces of the thick high density foam that they use as sound proofing/deadener in the big diesel trucks and John Deere tractors.  It works great for standing on.  I don't have enough for my entire floor though.
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 08:16:31 pm »

Thanks...good information.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 06:49:27 am »

You can get commercial low pile carpet from Lowe's for around .$.73 sq ft. I like it but some small things are hard to find. The cabs bounce well and not break. LOL

39don
Report Spam   Logged

T P

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 10:48:28 am »

you could check out the 4 x 8 rubber mats used in horse trailers as another option
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 11:15:52 am »

You might want to look into something like these. They'll last forever, can just be hauled outside and hosed off for cleaning, and will be softer to walk on than hard cement. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: