Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 23, 2017, 03:30:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

A Hair of Help Requested

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Hair of Help Requested  (Read 307 times)
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2014, 03:03:07 pm »

Ok Folks.
I'm trying to keep spammers off this forum.
I deleted one guy who on his first login this morning posted to the Classified/Auctions area that no one uses, so he was easy to spot.  I nailed one yesterday who posted in the Book section trying to sell something on their first post as well.

It's hard to know who is and isn't a potential spammer.
Before I approve someone I Google their username, and then their email address.  If anything highly questionable appears I don't approve them.  However that doesn't mean something might not slip through.

The only other way I can head these folks off is to email every single applicant to the forum to get their intention.  I don't have that kind of time or energy to email folks constantly like that - especially when I had five memberships to either approve or reject so far today along with laundry to do, dishes to do, a house to keep clean, gardens to water etc...

So here is my thoughts.  I'm going to continue to Google people as they apply.  However if you see spam, a sales post by someone who has just joined, or something with a new member just isn't right and seems weird, report the post and I'll get to it, or one of the other mods will get to it if it's in their section and we will take care of it. 

Please don't respond to the spammer's or seller's post however.  Just report it.  We'll take care of it.
Thanks for your help!   saved8
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 03:32:31 pm »

this is why you had so many unactivated accounts to delete. If I felt there was a chance of someone joining to abuse the rules I would email them a strict warning and at times more than one if they emailed back with some excuse. On the other hand if someone had a very good machine to sell and they admitted that selling that one machine was their goal of joining I looked at the machine and if I felt it was a service to the membership I listed  the link to the machine . I believe this was a great service to the members.
Report Spam   Logged

Haderly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 05:25:54 pm »

I second what Frank said...to bad it was not realized before we lost him as the gate keeper.
Report Spam   Logged

phishisgroovin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:04:23 pm »

Stopforumspam.com is a great tool also. Check username really
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: