Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 16, 2017, 03:59:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Housekeeping!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Housekeeping!!!!!  (Read 541 times)
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2014, 09:42:46 am »

OK...
So I'm going to start doing some general housekeeping here over the next couple weeks.

1) If a pinned topic has shown no posting activity in the past two years, I'm unpinning it.  Right now we have a lot of pinned clutter going on.

2) If a pinned topic was started by a member who is no longer here on the forum, I will unpin it.

3) I will be moving topics to the appropriate forums.  There are a few topics out there that never made it to the correct forum.

For now that's mainly what I will be addressing is housekeeping items.  I'm leaving a lot of the forum software items to Mark for now till I have a better grasp on what things do.  I'm sure he'll instruct me too.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:13:32 am »

I just went through the entire bottom half of the forum and unstickied a bunch of old stuff that had no activity and moved a couple threads.  If you are looking for something older that you remember being stickied - don't panic - it's still there, it just got "unstickied."  Just do a search of that section of the forum and you'll find your topic you were looking for.   yes

Some of the topics I unstickied had not had activity to them since 2009!
Report Spam   Logged

socalagatehound

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:35:12 pm »

Hi Amanda

The cleaning was a good idea, but in the process did we maybe unpin some reference topics that are really cool to have for folks to browse for information regardless of whether they post to the topic or not, member or not?  Not criticizing, just a thought....

Thanks for all you do and will do. I haven't been posting here or on the RTH forum as much as I was due to being busy and having a surgery or two, but I look at them every day and love them both. Hated to see the brief hullabaloo of the past couple days here. Keep on keepin' on...

Craig
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »

If the topic had something posted to it during the last two years, I kept it stickied.
I'm honestly considering asking Mark if we can make a forum section simply for all the pinned tutorials etc and put them all in one giant forum section for people to use like a library.  It cleans up forum clutter and keeps things more tidy and more easily searched.  Say you want to know both how to bezel a cab better in setting but also want to know the best polishing tips for the stone?  Right now you have to go to two separate areas of the forum for that.  If everything were in one forum sections devoted to these things they would be easier to find...
Report Spam   Logged

GoodEarth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 06:48:49 pm »

It would be nice to maybe create a tutorials forum. Keep it to instructions, and I've seen on other forums where the mod's will even edit threads to condense the most relevant material into a guide or reference work.
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:59 pm »

It would be nice to maybe create a tutorials forum. Keep it to instructions, and I've seen on other forums where the mod's will even edit threads to condense the most relevant material into a guide or reference work.

I'm thinking one with two subforums - one for tutorials, and the other for all other informative materials that are pinned - like rockhounding maps and geological studies etc..
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:55:16 am »

Sounding good to me.  Tutorials was a big topic on my agenda.  I would like a lot more and there are probably more around than i realize.  Tutorials are great and i will work on some more myself and if anyone would like to contribute, you can run it by myself or Amanda.

I'll be on later today for a longer time.  Right now it home and family stuff like on every saturday.  Be back later.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 10:46:43 am »

Mark - Perhaps we take this forum that is sitting there languishing and turn it into the Tutorials and Informational Forum??  http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/board,46.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 11:16:55 am »

There is a tutorial thread already..............I know I've completed several of them for different things.................

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/board,14.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:42:10 am »

Steve - yes you have posted several really good tutorials to that section of the forum.

What Mark and I are discussing is taking all the tutorials from the entire site and putting them all into one place like a giant library. 
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 06:32:28 pm »

It would be kool if we could not only have tutorials in the specific areas that they apply to, but we could also have them in a specific tutorial area.  You could do this by having two copies of a tutorial and keeping it in each area, or you could have one copy and just link to it from the tutorial area.  I am not sure this is possible but i will look into it.  In any case, we could have a tutorial specific area and keep all the tutorials there like Amanda suggested.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 10:35:20 pm »

It would be kool if we could not only have tutorials in the specific areas that they apply to, but we could also have them in a specific tutorial area.  You could do this by having two copies of a tutorial and keeping it in each area, or you could have one copy and just link to it from the tutorial area.  I am not sure this is possible but i will look into it.  In any case, we could have a tutorial specific area and keep all the tutorials there like Amanda suggested.

Mark

You will have to "modify" ( edit ) that persons original post with the tutorial.. Copy everything and then create a new post withing the library section, acknowledging the the member who actually created it, and then paste that into the new post within the new tutorial library..

Make sense.. ?

You can not simply, "copy to" in hopes of leaving the original, while copying to a new board/topic.. 
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 11:44:46 pm »

There is a tutorial thread already..............I know I've completed several of them for different things.................

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

Yes, and this is why it is pretty important that the original tutorials are not removed from their existing boards.. They really do belong and need to stay there..

Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 01:52:11 am »

or you could have one copy and just link to it from the tutorial area. 

Best idea...  yes
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 05:51:45 am »

I just could not wrap my head around justifying new categories, or boards for tutorials..  hide

Pinned topics are some of the best resources/tutorials, and that is really why they are pinned.. They are the best of the best.  Extra informative, super descriptive with lots of pictures and or videos.

Went through all the archived posts for the following boards :

Share Our Finished Cabochons and General Cabbing Questions / Tutorials
Intarsias / Commesso, and Composite Type Cabs
Knife Handles Artwork
Beadmaking, Drilling, and Beading
Members Personal Jewelry Design Experiences
No New Posts    Silversmithing / Metalsmithing for Jewelry Design
Cabbing And Grooving Machines.. Projects / New and Used Reviews
Discs, Wheels, Belts, Pads, and Polishing
Slab Saws, Trim Saws, Blades & Lubricants For Both / General Operating

Pinned as many tutorial related, and or at least extra informative, descriptive, interesting, and extra relevant topics..

Mark / Amanda...  If you guys really are set on creating a library within a new category or board, I can create one, and link all the pinned topics within the forum from within that library..

Thoughts ?
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 10:53:19 am »

That sounds like what we talked about George.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: