Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 16, 2017, 07:20:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Need Help - Dop Stick Wax Won't Stick

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help - Dop Stick Wax Won't Stick  (Read 9966 times)
light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2015, 09:49:24 am »

I use wooden sticks in the classes at William Holland School where I teach. In order that the wood is totally dry, I ask my students to warm the stick and the stone on the top of the dop pot. Then, I teach them to carefully use their fingers to spread as much of the wax over the back of the stone as possible without going over the edges. Wish that I could say that this works all of the time but it does not and students occasionally have to go back and re dop. I have heard that adding bees wax to wax that has been in the pot a long time will help.
Report Spam   Logged

mirkaba

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2015, 12:31:31 pm »

I keep 4 or 5 dop sticks (dowels) in my can of wax. When the wax melts just pull them out and attach to the heated cab. Then replace with waxed dowels from the last batch. Be sure to clean the polish from the wax and stick before remelting. The wax on the sticks keeps replenishing the wax in the pot. Eventually you have to add fresh wax but not very often.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: