Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 24, 2017, 12:58:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

tripod

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tripod  (Read 359 times)
phishisgroovin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:02:00 pm »

my new tool for Spin cycle stuff.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 12:07:04 am »

I used to use a set up similar, only different, two fire bricks and heavy gauge woven wire to accomplish sorta the same thing. It's a great way to heat from the bottom, it's often easier to solder this way than to try to apply the heat all from the top. You can also use this for it's intended purpose of torch firing enamel on copper or fine silver.
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:00:50 am »

I tried one of these once but I found that it takes a large flame and a lot of time to heat it up to soldering temperatures because the screen and tripod drain away so much heat.
I solder on a fire brick. I turn the torch up and heat a spot on the fire brick to glowing red. I then turn my torch down to normal soldering temperatures and use my solder pick to slide the piece over the hot spot and do my soldering. This hot spot acts like having a torch under the piece to heat the back.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:25:49 am »

I have one of these, too. I think that they're invaluable for soldering light things to heavy, like earring posts, because you can heat the heavier item from underneath without melting the light wire.

Recently someone told me (don't know if it's true) that this screen is galvanized, which isn't good to breathe. I replaced my screen with a stainless steel enameling screen.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
phishisgroovin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:12:58 am »

this one is bare metal thank god.
I will be burning it in today outside anyhow, this way whatever fumes come off it wont stink up my house while i solder.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:55:08 am »

Ditto Bob's experience.  I bought one when i got my torch, thinking i was going to need it for almost everything.  It seemed like a logical setup to be able to heat from below and without having to hold your item somehow.  It ended up taking way too long to get the sterling to solder melting temp due to the heatsink effect, and i gave up on using it.  Like Bob,  I now heat a spot on my charcoal block to glowing red and then lay my piece of sterling on that spot.  I get an even heating from the backside and it takes less time to get the sterling to the solder melting temp.  I am sure there are situations where it is the perfect setup, just like there are times where i have to use my third arm contraption to hold something while i solder it.  My next purchase or tool to fabricate, is a metal block with many holes that take metal pins.  You put your bezel or piece to be soldered on the block and then place metal pins in the holes that will help hold your item in place while soldering.  I have seen small round blocks with a handle in the rio grande catalog.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: