Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 24, 2017, 03:10:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Ganoksin - Lapidary Work Safety Notes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ganoksin - Lapidary Work Safety Notes  (Read 290 times)
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:30:39 am »

Not sure if this has been posted before but I'm kind of nag when it comes to breathing in silica/asbestos and other harmful content (and I'll probably be the first to die from it of those I nag - inverse odds+murphy).

Here's a really short, to the point and informative article by Charles Lewton-Brain on shop safety that jibes with a lot of talk I hear around here regarding the things people use (antifreeze, for example) -

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/lapidary-safety.htm

I especially like the part about lapidaries getting chest x-rays. Good idea and (to my knowledge) a simple non-spec x-ray like that isn't going to break the bank if done now and then.

Thanks for looking.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Social Buttons

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:21:51 am »

I am very careful but if you could have seen the various factories and shipyards I have worked in over the years  you would be appalled. That is likely for quite a few of us here but we do have control over our environment in our shops fortunately.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:00:37 pm »

When I was in the Navy my first ship was under construction at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard in San Francisco, CA and I often wonder how many of the yardbirds contracted lung cancer from working with asbestos insulation that was put on all of steam piping. I often wonder about myself for that matter. There were two forms of insulation, molded and woven cloth types, one was cut to length with a power saw and the dust was every where in the air and the dust settled out on everything and the other was wrapped around this ridge type was the cloth fabric which was then cover with a ridgizer  that made it very hard but until then it was just really fragile. I also had asbestos gloves for use during my years of bronze casting, really handy but still asbestos. I know what Frank is talking about, the welders all had big asbestos pads to protect other areas from damage and as their "fire watch" I would help the lug those big sheets around. The did it for a life time me just for about six months.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:22:39 pm »

Good points. Many of the jobs I worked in my youth were very hazardous inasmuch as breathing goes. One example was a wave-soldering machine with no hood. The very next job I had I got for that reason alone. Most were afraid of getting burned but after working one for awhile I knew the danger was really in the lead and acid (flux) fumes. Amazing to me to this day that nobody could flip for a few hundred bucks to even mcguiver some kind of hood for those things from an old swamp cooler or something.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:32:41 pm »

I stood , sat on and drug those huge asbestos pads everywhere I worked building subs . The steel was either too hot or too cold to sit on to work . Less exposure than the insulation however. In refitting paper mills we would have to rip that stuff off and in those days it got dropped in the trench you walked in and would be spread forever by peoples feet .
 I have a dry well  made with a post hole digger in the woods for all my swarf . I figure the silica from agates  and asbestos from the jade can  be in a deep hole with a board on top and after a few months it is buried and I make a new hole.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 03:29:48 am »

I need to start burying my swarf. Right now I have a pile of sandstone I pour it over along with the water in the sludge buckets and a bit of bleach (from the buckets - they go anaerobic with O2 hating bacteria after awhile otherwise - never had algae problems though - pH too high maybe? Don't know.) It's windy enough here that whatever the worms don't drag under the air takes within a day or two. But I think it safest for everyone other than me in the area downwind if I make that pile a pit.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

phishisgroovin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 07:54:43 am »

inverse odds+murphy).

Murphy, were related?
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:20:56 am »

inverse odds+murphy).

Murphy, were related?

I post about this more frequently than most... anybody I think, and go out of my way to keep from breathing the stuff. Which of course means I'll be near the top of the death-by-rock-related-lung-disease (inverse odds), but just in case the odds don't get me - there's always murphy.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: