Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 20, 2017, 01:28:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

My shop is almost done...

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My shop is almost done...  (Read 678 times)
Goldsmithy

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2013, 06:33:34 pm »

I have spent the last five years planning and building a retirement shop. Building, moving, figuring out what goes where...and then rearranging it countless times. I had a shop at home before I closed my retail studio. Ever tried to fit a shoe that was 3 sizes to small?  Anyway, here it is:

http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/Goldsmithy/slideshow/New%20shop

Anyone who has run a one-man shop knows that you just don't have time to learn everything. Photography and this inter-webby thing are the bane of my existence. dunno. Any way, I hope the links work...Teddy
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:27:52 pm »

Works fine for me . Nice job , enjoy.
Report Spam   Logged

Hummingbirdstones
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »

Wow!  Tool heaven ... Enjoy your space, it looks divine!   ura
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 10:06:53 pm »

Phew.........................Wow, more toys to play with than Santa Claus............................. yippie

I'd love to see some of your work................................... yes
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:05:34 am »

Wow, you did a great job of squeezing everything into what space you had to work with!! yes yes  Do you still have room to move around & work?  Amazing collection of tools & I also would like to see some of your work!!  Please!!  ura
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 07:27:31 am »

I am so jealous of both the space you have and the tools. I have to store a lot of mine under and above my counters and my benches. You have dedicated work stations which makes life so much easier. When I cast, I have to roll out the vacuum caster to invest, roll it back, clear the bench and get the Neycraft (which is stored on it's side under the bench) and set it up. I have my kilns on top of my bench instead of under, since I enamel. Likewise when I polish, I have to dig out the polisher and the wheels and set them up, and when I'm done, store them again. It makes you not want to use them since it's so much trouble to root them out.

I was in heaven for a year or two with my 10 x 10 room. I've SO outgrown it, I have way too many tools. But I think you take the cake for most room, stations, equipment and tools! I need that hydraulic press. I do have a compressor, but haven't even used it yet because I'll have to run a hose through the wall, I can't fit anything else in the room.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Goldsmithy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 08:58:10 am »

Debbie, when I started my whole shop was in a 9 x 7 room and with the tools I had then, I had a lot of room left over. :) I quickly ran out of room, so here's what I did. I mounted each of my machines on a 3/4" plywood base. On the top of my bench, I made 2 "L" shaped channels that were 3/4" high. IIRC the mounting boards were 16" wide. I mounted the channels upside down so that I could just slide the machine I needed into the channel and it would hold it securely. I had my buffer, my grinder, and a couple of other things all mounted on the same sized baseboard. I could just slide what machine I needed into the channel. It saved me a lot of time.
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 07:30:14 pm »

I have spent the last five years planning and building a retirement shop. Building, moving, figuring out what goes where...and then rearranging it countless times. I had a shop at home before I closed my retail studio. Ever tried to fit a shoe that was 3 sizes to small?  Anyway, here it is:

http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/Goldsmithy/slideshow/New%20shop

Anyone who has run a one-man shop knows that you just don't have time to learn everything. Photography and this inter-webby thing are the bane of my existence. dunno. Any way, I hope the links work...Teddy

Ted, nice shop....did I see two or just one Unimat lathe? ... and what have you made with it?
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 08:25:14 pm »

Wow, what a nice well equipt shop!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Mary Ann
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 09:34:50 am »

Congratulations Teddy! How wonderful to see all of the planning come together. Looks like you will be having many rewarding hours in your new shop.
Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »

WoW! Even a toaster oven to warm up sandwiches in, now that's nice! I had a really nice set up in the back bedroom but when we got a killer Siberian Husky and a Chow Chow the cats had to quit having the free range of the house and are now residing in that room so I'm not as organized as I once was but I still have a pretty good small setup for my copper work. Nice use of space and great selection of tooling for making just about anything you can think of. ura yippie yes dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

hardrockcafe
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:16:37 pm »

Congrats on the new shop!  It looks like you've got it laid out to fit your working style.  I am just about moved into my darkroom/cabbing room, so I can relate to finally getting a workspace.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 10:26:31 am »

Teddy,

Did I see two Unimat lathes or just one and what do you use them for (project/s)??

Gary (TOG) (The Other Gary
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Goldsmithy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 08:21:54 am »

Thanks for all the positive comments. Gary, I only have one unimat lathe and I've only used it a couple of times for wax work. I am currently working on a light box/photographic setup. As soon as I get it done, I will be posting pic's of some of my current and old work.  Here are some pic's of work in progress that I started 30 > years ago.

Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:44 am »

Are you interested in trading your Unimat for something lapidary ?? equipment, rough, slabs, tumbled ??

Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 06:33:15 pm »

I am so jealous of both the space you have and the tools. I have to store a lot of mine under and above my counters and my benches. You have dedicated work stations which makes life so much easier. When I cast, I have to roll out the vacuum caster to invest, roll it back, clear the bench and get the Neycraft (which is stored on it's side under the bench) and set it up. I have my kilns on top of my bench instead of under, since I enamel. Likewise when I polish, I have to dig out the polisher and the wheels and set them up, and when I'm done, store them again. It makes you not want to use them since it's so much trouble to root them out.

I was in heaven for a year or two with my 10 x 10 room. I've SO outgrown it, I have way too many tools. But I think you take the cake for most room, stations, equipment and tools! I need that hydraulic press. I do have a compressor, but haven't even used it yet because I'll have to run a hose through the wall, I can't fit anything else in the room.

Debbie K

Ditto to Debbie's comments.
I showed these photos to my husband because HE THOUGHT I HAD A LOT OF TOOLS.
I think you're shop is a dream come true. 
Retirement is THE BEST!!!
I love learning whatever I feel like learning and if I want to 'work' I do....and if it's too lovely outside and I want to 'go out on my e-bike' ......I do!!!! yippie
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

sealdaddy
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 06:49:51 am »

I'm curious what you use that toaster oven for, friend?
Report Spam   Logged
Cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 09:10:52 am »

I'm curious what you use that toaster oven for, friend?

I can't speak for Goldsmithy, but I can answer as yet another guy who keeps a toaster oven in the lapidary shop. I use it to dry stone that has been stabilized with sodium silicate. Sometimes I use it to preheat a slab before I use epoxy to repair a crack or fill a void. The epoxy flows into the tiny crevices of a hot slab better than a cold one.

It keeps the peace in the house when I don't cook sodium silicate in the kitchen!

And sometimes I use it to heat a snack!
Report Spam   Logged
Goldsmithy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 10:02:27 am »

I use it to temper knife blades and stabilizing things, among other things. They are handy to have around.  Teddy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: