Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 23, 2017, 04:20:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Side Views of Cabs Please [Dome Question]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Side Views of Cabs Please [Dome Question]  (Read 1973 times)
Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 08:59:20 am »

This is getting so cool!!! yes

Gemfeller, your rutilles are 'to die for'. yippie
I know what you mean about setting it though....you almost have to design some sort of a prong arrangement to hold it, or perhaps treat it like a piece of glass and epoxy it to an interesting 'cap' if it's to be jewelry but as it is it's probably stunning as a display piece.

Vitzitziltecpatl [btw, where in heck did you come up with this username???  No clue how to pronounce it dunno
Anyway your freehand green chrysoprase is lovely.  Looks like a breeze to bezel set.  How large is it [approximately, if you don't have it anymore]?  yes
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M
"Pursue Your Passions....."
"Imagine the Possibilities!"
"Mistakes are simply a form of practice!"
"People who never make mistakes.....probably never do anything!"

imakedust

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 09:24:29 am »

gemfeller, I love the shape on that clear rutile! It's beautiful! and vitzitziltecpatl that chrysoprase looks down right edible!

suprizingly enough, it's supposed to be rutile inclusions in the rose quartz that causes the star :) At least that's what I have read so far...

Most of the rose quartz that I have cut, have shown some indcation that there was the possibility of staring. But I purchased this rough as "star quartz"  and that was one of the lower grade pieces that I used for practing on :)

Lithic, at one point, about 15 years ago, I almost had my grubby little finger on some of that blue star quartz...but by the time I got to the vendor, they were all sold out :(
Report Spam   Logged

Sheila :)

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 12:04:34 pm »

My  dome "Thingy"
It is an inverted chuck with a small cup device that I made. I made these cups up to about 1-1/2" for hand making small spheres.

A small cab of Idocrase mounted on a dop stick.

Another view.

The finished cab.

I made this cab for a piece of jewelry that I started a couple years ago. I haven't finished the jewelry piece yet. (distracted).
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

gemfeller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 12:20:00 pm »

suprizingly enough, it's supposed to be rutile inclusions in the rose quartz that causes the star :) At least that's what I have read so far...

Thanks for your comment on my rutilated cab.  As for the cause of stars in rose quartz, recent research suggests it's not rutile but fibrous inclusions of dumortierite that gives it both its rather "foggy" appearance and color and ability to show stars.

There's a very interesting Brazilian star quartz on the current market.  It comes in a whitish hue and pale citrine or smoky quartz hues.  I was able to photograph the tiny rutile crystals in one but I've lost the image.  It makes great stars in big stones -- this one's almost 22 carats: 

Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 12:22:11 pm »

That's a wow stone!
Report Spam   Logged

imakedust

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 02:00:49 pm »

Bob, that is the most perfect little round!

gemfeller, I just found a site that talked about that :) Cool!
I really envy your ability to photograph clear stones! mine come out cloudy even when they are not  dunno
Report Spam   Logged

Sheila :)

tntmom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 02:19:56 pm »

I went through my photo bucket album looking for recent stones that have side views.  Here is a nice set of Blue Ice agate, slab was 1/4" to begin with.  I don't have a ruler in my pictures but you can reference size by my fingers.

The 2 small ones were dopped on nails with super glue, the pendant was free hand.
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

vitzitziltecpatl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 06:16:32 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments on the Chrysoprase. That one was approximately 18x14x8 and was cut from a piece the lapidary instructor brought in not intending to sell. Talked him out of it and used a piece for one of our class assignments. He loved it and said "I want that rough back... ." He didn't get it back, and I sold that cab for $65. Got some of the tuition back!

The username? Split it up into three-letter groups, except for the last four letters (pah-tul) for the pronounciation. It's the Aztec word for "hummingbird stone"- their name for opals - and it took me a very long time to get my tongue to twist enough to spit that word out reliably.

We named our website hummingbird stones because of the Aztec name for opals. My wife Robin has the hummingbirdstones username here on the forum so I took the Aztec word for my username.
Report Spam   Logged

Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 10:13:59 am »

I went through my photo bucket album looking for recent stones that have side views.  Here is a nice set of Blue Ice agate, slab was 1/4" to begin with.  I don't have a ruler in my pictures but you can reference size by my fingers.]

The 2 small ones were dopped on nails with super glue, the pendant was free hand.

These are gorgeous Krystee, as always.
It's surprising when you hold the two smaller white cabs together, how the color variation shows up at that view but from top view they look the same color.   Doesn't take much with white.

Anyway, I know you have [or have had] some long very irregular cabs that are freeform but appear to have high domes.  I recall a gorgeous long blue stone but don't remember whether it was chrysocolla or something else, and I recall several other large sort of kite shaped cabs that had relatively high domes........if you still have them or have photos from the side view, can you post them?

The whole reason that this thread began was....  walker
Several of us [especially, but not limited to me] are trying to understand how you [or anyone] chooses to shape a long cab like 40mm plus long by maybe 20 or 30mm wide with a lovely polished finish and as high a dome as you can get with a 1/4" thick slab.
Things like, how thick does the girdle end up being and is the slope sudden at certain points or constantly gradual!!!!!
There's nothing like photos to 'tell the tale'!!!
[plus they're great to drool over].
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 10:42:41 am »

My  dome "Thingy"
It is an inverted chuck with a small cup device that I made. I made these cups up to about 1-1/2" for hand making small spheres.

Bob

Bob, I'm fascinated by the 'inverted chuck with a small cup device that you made'.  Especially that it makes cups up to 1-1/2".   
The half-dome cabs are fabulous. yippie

Could you take some 'close up' shots of the actual 'cup part'? 

Possibly it's my vision but I can't tell, in the shot you posted, how it's made or what it's made of.   dunno

To my eyes [that are 'granted' getting older] the tip just looks like a cup shaped blob of beeswax.  hide

Maybe you could start a separate thread and post a link here, so others can also see it??!! ura
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

tntmom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 12:17:32 pm »

Hmmmm..... something like this Carol?

This is 45mm x 20mm with a 3mm girdle.  Just finished this Sugilite up a couple days ago.  All of my cabs have a 3mm girdle regardless of whether they end up being high dome or low dome. 

Side view got all smudgy with my fingerprints but the angle shows up nicely.
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

vitzitziltecpatl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 04:25:58 pm »

Yep Krystee, that looks like a perfectly graduated dome to me. Some people like lower domes - the lapidary instructor at the local college, for one - but I like the proportions of that Sugilite.

The point about 3mm girdles is good. I guess a good answer to the question of how much slope and what shape the dome will take all depends on the thickness of the slab, the girdle height, and the face size of the stone.

Highest part of the dome would be the center of the largest part that Sugilite and the profile of the dome will take care of itself with nice gradual changes in the curvature. That way the reflection from a light source will never have any sudden changes as it rolls across the face of the stone.

Wow. It's a lot harder to try to put all that into words than it is to do it... .
Report Spam   Logged

Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 09:25:58 pm »

Hmmmm..... something like this Carol?

This is 45mm x 20mm with a 3mm girdle.  Just finished this Sugilite up a couple days ago.  All of my cabs have a 3mm girdle regardless of whether they end up being high dome or low dome. 

EXACTLY, SOMETHING LIKE THAT KRYSTEE!!!!!,
OMG!!!
Drool....Drool  party2  [gotta find a good 'smiley' for drooling!!!!]

Thanks so much Krystee.  That is stunning  It's also very interesting to know that you maintain a 3mm girdle all around. 

Do you dome the whole cab and then 're-establish the 3mm girdle' or is there some knack for not screwing it up as you're smoothing and doming?? dunno

OK....we've started the 'drool line' going.
Anybody else??? [or more from Krystee]....
[I'm sittin' here with my lobster bib on and I'm all set for more] yippie
Bring it on!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 09:26:43 pm »

This is cool, I'm really getting a kick (and a lot of technical help at a glance) just by looking at these sweet pieces from the side - thanks so much for sharing and thanks again Carol for posting this thread! yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Carol M

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:24 pm »

This is cool, I'm really getting a kick (and a lot of technical help at a glance) just by looking at these sweet pieces from the side - thanks so much for sharing and thanks again Carol for posting this thread! yes

You're very welcome, Frank.
Actually it was Bob's brilliant idea for the subject.....so thanks Bob, from all of us for the suggestion.
Re 'getting a lot of technical help at a glance.....I totally agree with you.  'One picture is worth.....'.
Report Spam   Logged

Ciao,
Carol M

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: