Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 24, 2017, 08:54:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

So long !

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So long !  (Read 676 times)
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2013, 02:54:45 pm »

I have accepted a promotion that will require me to move.  One (of many) unfortunate results will be the loss of my walk in basement that I use as a shop.
The temperature remains fairly constant year round, so I can cut rocks anytime.
Lately I have been trying to organize some of my rocks.
I am a food broker and have access to discarded koolaid, Raid, etc. merchandising racks.  I recently scored about 48' for old grocery store shelving.
I wanted to post some pics  before I have to tear it all down.
Since we lived in the basement while we were finishing the house, it has a kitchen area with a double sink.  Great for cleaning and tumbling needs!

This is where I get rocks ready for cutting

These are some of the re-purposed racks used for storage.  To the right of this area is where my wood saws (table, chop & radial arm) & drill press are located.

Here is the shelving I mentioned with tubs holding rough and slabs.

This is a shot from the roll-up door featuring my kingdom

I have been draining my saws today.  No telling when I will be able to get back to cutting...sniff...
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

Social Buttons

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:09:24 pm »

Don't hurt yourself moving and best wishes with the new job.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »

I'm sorry about the loss of your shop, I've been through that twice in my life and, well, it's miserable to say the least. Good fortune in your promotion. yippie
Report Spam   Logged

SEW1950
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »

Sorry for your loss, jealous of what you had, congrats on the promotion, and best wishes for the future! ura
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:49 pm »

Punching bag - now I know where you got that awesome right hook from!

I'll say it again - you are awesome anywhere Nancie! Good luck with the new job and keep in touch with your Family (us!) even if you're not playing with rocks for awhile.

Rock on baby! yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 01:42:15 am »

finally someone with a shop that looks like mine used to before I moved; still trying to find the proper place for eveything in the new digs. Glad you're moving under better circumstances and hope it goes well.
Lloyd
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 04:55:16 am »

Thanks everyone.
I presently live in NW Arkansas, where the land is cheap and the vistas beautiful.  I have 15 acres and a house my husband and I built.  However it has been getting too much to keep up, so maybe this is a good thing....forcing us to sort thru all our crap and keep what's usable.
The only problem is, we are moving to south Louisiana, where land is at a premium, insurance is sky high and the vistas are sugar came fields.  But, I am originally from there and it will be nice to get back to the great food and family (I moved away while in college-43 yrs. ago)

Now the challenge is finding a suitable place to live and decide how big I want my new shop!

Frank, that's a heavy bag-a present from my husband.
Thanks for the good wishes!
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Rockaholic
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 09:09:59 pm »

Good luck on your move, Nancie! I was gonna make a joke about the punching bag, but looks like Frank got to it first. My extended family have a couple vacation houses out that way along the lake and it really is beautiful! Exceedingly so for the general region. That's gotta be rough loosing the shop. Ouch.

Maybe with that promotion you can afford to build a brand-spaking new shop from the ground up!
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 10:39:24 am »

The rest of us here in Northwest Arkansas, will really miss Nancie! She came to our annual fall swap 3 years ago and boy could we ever talk about rocks. I am willing to bet she will find a place to get her shop going again!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 11:02:43 am »

Thanks, Dave........................................
And so it begins

Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

PhilNM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:18:19 pm »

Good Luck with the move and job. Just out of curosity, what are you selling you place for? I've been house hunting here in NM, and prices are outrageous. You probably have better hunting, fishing and rocks anyway... <G>

Phil
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »

Good Luck with the move and job. Just out of curosity, what are you selling you place for? I've been house hunting here in NM, and prices are outrageous. You probably have better hunting, fishing and rocks anyway... <G>

Phil

Great hunting and fishing...mediocre rocks.

I will be selling 8 acres of woods with about an acre fenced (dogs), 2000 sf house built in 98, 1300 sf walk in basement (semi finished), dbl garage...can't see your neighbors for about $225000 to $250000 (I hope).
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

bgast1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:18 pm »

Good luck on your new endeavors.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 04:46:15 pm »

That's not a bad price for all of that yippie
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »

Phase One:

Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 09:00:02 pm »

Nancie,
What are you going to pull the trailer with?
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 09:10:41 pm »

Moving is not fun Nancie.  Hope all the changes go smoothly for you.  I think you get so busy with moving you don't have time to think.  After the move is when all the stress you've gone though hits you.  A big congratulations.
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 04:22:00 am »

Nancie,

Gonna pull it with my 4Runner...it's still under warranty  yes
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 04:24:26 am »

Moving is not fun Nancie.  Hope all the changes go smoothly for you.  I think you get so busy with moving you don't have time to think.  After the move is when all the stress you've gone though hits you.  A big congratulations.

Just hoping it doesn't end in Divorce.

Thanks, Helene.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 09:26:33 am »

Nancie,

I thought that was a 'newer' 4runner.  I have a 2011 Pathfinder and hooked up to my cargo trailer that was about 5000 lbs, "forgetaboutit".  I needed at least one sway bar and a good loadleveler hitch and a trailer brake on the Nissan. 
So much for that. 

Doesn't look like you will be anywhere close to that.
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 09:57:54 am »

It is and will be an overwhelming upheaval, but looking at the glass half full, you get a new start at setting up your shop again with all the knowledge you learned from the previous shops and all the insights you have gained.  It will be a lot of work, but it can be a wonderful experience.  I have found that my wife and i get along the best when we are working together on projects and its like we are on the same team and working towards the same goal.  Good luck and make the best of it.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 03:46:26 pm »

Nancie,

I thought that was a 'newer' 4runner.  I have a 2011 Pathfinder and hooked up to my cargo trailer that was about 5000 lbs, "forgetaboutit".  I needed at least one sway bar and a good loadleveler hitch and a trailer brake on the Nissan. 
So much for that. 

Doesn't look like you will be anywhere close to that.

I am figuring 3500# max.  The first half of the trip will be the toughest with curves and hills.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 03:51:43 pm »

It is and will be an overwhelming upheaval, but looking at the glass half full, you get a new start at setting up your shop again with all the knowledge you learned from the previous shops and all the insights you have gained.  It will be a lot of work, but it can be a wonderful experience.  I have found that my wife and i get along the best when we are working together on projects and its like we are on the same team and working towards the same goal.  Good luck and make the best of it.

Mark

It's tough to be philosophical at this point.  I haven't had the time to plan this out....this is a fast track move. 
My new account wasn't supposed to sign on until mid August, giving me time to get my life in order, but that got pushed up a month.
Thankfully my company is working with me and allowing me time after the initial intro to come back to Arkansas and wrap things up.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 04:47:58 pm »

Both my moves were just across town but my what an upheaval, I just can't imagine moving across state lines hide
Report Spam   Logged

Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 07:08:45 pm »

Nancie I found moving my studio was three times more work than moving my household items. 

Your husband is going to be so busy working he won't have time to think about a divorce.
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 08:23:49 pm »

Nancie I found moving my studio was three times more work than moving my household items. 

Your husband is going to be so busy working he won't have time to think about a divorce.

That's why I started with the studio  and shop. 
He's not thinking of a divorce....he knows how good he's got it....however, I might be ...  crackthewhip
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 08:29:08 pm »

Careful what you wish for......I think it bad juju to talk about those things..... bricks
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: