Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 24, 2017, 09:49:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Take a memo:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take a memo:  (Read 494 times)
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:12:20 am »

I will preface this by saying that while virtually all of us come and go on this forum we leave our knowledge and insights behind for others to discover.
  Last night I locked a topic which had become a venue for a nasty dispute from another forum . I then suggested that the open forum is not a good place for such disputes.
  In that dispute my integrity was disparaged. It was stated that I had been unresponsive about why I had deleted a topic earlier in the week . I was responsive and patient but was firm in the belief that the topic was inappropriate even for our place as it could easily be seen to mix religion and politics . Later communication confirmed my worst fears .
  I again received pm's that I considered harassing last evening and warned the member that I have a policy of non- harassment as does the forum .
   Her dislike for my decision is so profound that I suggested twice this week that perhaps she could figure out a way to fire me . We all come and go after all so I would not consider leaving this job an inconvenience .
  I would strongly suggest we keep disputes off the open forum  , adhere to requests not to harass and perhaps consider that this is a stone cutting forum at heart.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:27:16 am »

My sentiments exactly..........I come here to read and see others' adventures in stones, stone working and jewelry.......and on occasion someone's personal insights..................If I wanted drama I'd read the news paper.................. yes

Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:31:29 am »

Frank,
I think this is something best taken up with Aaron.  If you are having an issue with another forum member, this really isn't the greatest of places to air it.  Aaron can handle any harassment you have received.  

I agree however of course that certain topics tend to become more inflammatory than others, and an ounce of reason should be exercised before posting such topics.  While I tend to not delete topics at all unless Aaron feels it should go as well, I also er on the side of caution and I don't typically do any kind of moderation to a topic unless I visibly see a problem evolving.  Otherwise I live and let live.
Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:39:00 am »

I for one thank you and the other moderators on this forum to staying firm on the no religion/politics policy here. This forum is a place where we share  knowledge about lapidary, jewelry and related topics; not pushing ones' political and social agenda. The conversations here are always insightful, polite and on topic which is why I've been visiting this forum nearly every day since 2009. If you want to see what this forum would be like without this policy, just take a look at the train wreck that is RTH where political trolling is rampant.

Again, THANK YOU.

Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:34 am »

This means the **** section is definitely out huh?

Rocks it is then by gum! yes

Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:01:16 am »

I don't mind a little debate and "airing" - something I'm sort of crossing you both on (Amanda & Frank). My reasons are 1) I think debate is healthy as long as it doesn't get out of hand (moderators discretion). And I think that rumors are a bad thing - open air is a good thing.

Anybody see the movie Alien III? I know - bizarre reference, but when the jail keeper comes to everybody after something has happened behind closed doors and says, "Rumor control - here are the facts", it exemplifies something I also learned from spending time in group homes as a youth - places with very strong policies regarding open doors and keeping the air clean. Not sure if I'm saying this at all right but my intention is to say that I think Frank is doing exactly the appropriate thing here and not enough forums do that. Secrecy breeds foul air...

FWIW
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 10:20:06 am »

Found Eric's post identifying his petrified fern interesting and the posts following disrespectful to his thread.  

I had a look at the posts that were deleted and was happy they were.  Plenty of venues available were these deep and heated discussions can be aired.

That's not saying I don't like other topics besides rocks.  Enjoy little glimpses of forum members lives.  Our Place is a wonderful venue for that.  

Thank you Frank for doing a job most of us would not want to get entangled with.  

Last note shame on anyone sending harassing e-mails to our Moderator.  Stop it.    
Report Spam   Logged

SEW1950
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 10:41:36 am »

I say let's get into ranting about politics and religion, in order to fill up the space on the Forum, as soon as we have;

- Covered with pictures, analysis, and maps locating every variation of every rock any member has collected or seen.
       - Used up everyone's rock hoards so there won't be anything new to marvel at.
       - Accepted the fact that all of the artists and craftspeople here have created and shown us everything they ever will.
       - Brought my knowledge level up to Frank, Daniel, Mark, Kristee, Bob, et al.
       - Tired of civility and gentle good humor among friends.
       - Become aware that there are no others forums to air bitterness and insecurities.

Since that day isn't here yet, let's all show Frank a picture of a rock - not throw one.
Report Spam   Logged
Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 11:01:31 am »

I say let's get into ranting about politics and religion, in order to fill up the space on the Forum, as soon as we have;

- Covered with pictures, analysis, and maps locating every variation of every rock any member has collected or seen.
       - Used up everyone's rock hoards so there won't be anything new to marvel at.
       - Accepted the fact that all of the artists and craftspeople here have created and shown us everything they ever will.
       - Brought my knowledge level up to Frank, Daniel, Mark, Kristee, Bob, et al.
       - Tired of civility and gentle good humor among friends.
       - Become aware that there are no others forums to air bitterness and insecurities.

Since that day isn't here yet, let's all show Frank a picture of a rock - not throw one.

Nicely put.
Report Spam   Logged

Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 06:08:52 pm »

Phew, I don't know what to say.  hide  In all sincerity, I hope things can settle down and we can get back to rocks. Thanks, Eric(Ajo)
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

legendarygranite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:12:45 pm »

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 06:06:41 pm »

Did someone just fall down the rabbit hole or are they mad as a hatter? Just ask Alice. hide
Report Spam   Logged

catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 09:07:20 pm »

Whatever it was, I am glad I missed that one.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 04:33:52 pm »

Yeah, I'm always glad when I miss that kinda stuff. However sometimes no matter how hard I try there are times when we all suffer from hoof in mouth disease. bricks
Report Spam   Logged

sealdaddy
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 07:32:33 am »

I'm with you, Frank~!!   yes  yes  yes
Your actions were absolutely appropriate and warranted.

This should be place for lapidary and jewelry making discussion and learning...Without Discord.
Even "Our Place" needs to be free of discord, posts on politics or religion~!!

There are many other forums for people who want to do post opinions on those topics, and fight about it.
They should go there, and not bring confrontation to this forum...Period~!!
If that kind of thing was to happen here, among people I like to think of as friends, even family, many of us would leave.

I Applaud you Frank~!!!
And making it known in your post is the only way to get the word out, and avoiding it happening in the future instead of locking or deleting posts behind the scenes...and having everyone wonder why that happened.  Again, good judgement.
Report Spam   Logged
ToTheSummit

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 04:10:26 pm »

Whatever it was, I am glad I missed that one.

Tony
Ditto.  Looks like I picked the perfect time for a camping trip!

I come here for rocks.  I've grown to really like the members here and I enjoy sharing in portions of their personal lives as well as sharing portions of my own.  But politics and religion are of no interest to me here.  And I certainly don't have and time or tolerance for drama.
Report Spam   Logged

YOU invented the wheel, YOU push the damn thing! -Karl (thats me)

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: