Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 22, 2017, 11:14:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Building a 3 head sphere machine.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a 3 head sphere machine.  (Read 2289 times)
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »

I've been working on this thing off and on for over a year now. Just wiring to finish when I find the time.

In the beginning there were parts. Lots of parts, and an idea. Jake thinks there might be food hidden in there.

Base cut and rails sitting in place. The rails had to be drilled, countersunk and counterbored before mounting with aircraft grade countersunk screws.

Motor mount plates laid out and drilled. Waiting to be cut on bandsaw.

Base drilled for motor wires, triangular center block mounted, edges routed, painted with 3 coats of automotive primer and 2 coats of green splatter machine paint, Rails mounted and water tight power box sitting loosely in place.

Motor mounts cut, joined with spring loaded fire door hinges and mounted to the rails with T-nuts and allen cap screws.

Motors mounted to mount plates.

Springs salvaged from a broken drafting lamp. 1" angles salvaged from a throw away shelving unit.

Detail of mounting for tension springs.

How the springs work to put tension on the cutter cups. No cups showing.

The machine together, minus wiring.

All of this stuff has to fit in that little box, plus motor wiring for 3 motors and a power cord. The toggle switch has a rubber boot over it to make it water proof.

And that's where she sits until I find time to finish the wiring. Black iron plumbing bell reducers will be used for cutter cups.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

Social Buttons

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:38:36 pm »

Not the typical DIYer there Don, though I notice a few of you do go to the trouble of achieving this level of quality. That's incredible, and I love the fire door hinges - genius. I envy your brain as much as I do your get up and go. Kudos!
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:46:40 pm »

LOL. At my age my get up and go has almost got up and gone. But I'm determined to finish all of my toys and play with them before they put me under the ground.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:09:06 am »

ura yippie  That is looking just soooooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!    yippie ura   Believing your get & go is running back to you so you can get at it again & get'er done!!! yes yes
Report Spam   Logged

sealdaddy
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:05:34 am »

I've been working on this thing off and on for over a year now. Just wiring to finish when I find the time.

Don...THAT is Awesome~!!
Just thinking though, every sphere machine I've seen have the arm/cups tilting slightly more UP.
And have cast iron (plumbing) cups, instead of pvc, my friend.
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:18:35 am »

Hey Don, Those aren't cups. Those are PVC pipe caps. I put them on the cup adapters to protect the threads while I'm building the machine.

Actually, it's best to have the heads tilted slightly downwards. The grinding mud will move back towards the sphere, instead of running back towards the motor bearings. I don't know why people always think it's best to have them tilted upwards.

Also, if the sphere happens to kick out of the cutters, (which does happen from time to time), it will land in the catch tray instead of shooting across the room.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

sealdaddy
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:27:40 am »

lol  gotcha~!!
My bad~
Report Spam   Logged
lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:08:43 am »

Really awsome work......i never see and don't know sphere machine works, i hope i can see how its works, thank you for sharing these Don.... yippie yippie yippie
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:40:44 am »

Daniel, one of the lapidary companies that makes and sells spheres has a series of short videos that take you all the way through the process of making spheres. I'll see if I can find it again and post a link for you.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

sealdaddy
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:43 am »

Really awsome work......i never see and don't know sphere machine works, i hope i can see how its works, thank you for sharing these Don.... yippie yippie yippie
Here's a couple videos:

Report Spam   Logged
lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 09:19:58 am »

yippie yippie yippie Thank you Don......thats put an idea in my mind, i only can make a small sphere with my hand and and old sic wheel....sphere beads.

Anyone has try a 5mm with this kind of mechine?
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
zirconx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 09:25:05 am »

I'm so excited!  Another sphere maker!   Welcome to a group of few. 
Bev
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 09:38:45 am »

LOL. Bev, I'm not exactly new to sphere making. I've had this machine for nearly 20 years. It's down right now, needing a source of the round belts it uses.

Report Spam   Logged

Don

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:53 am »

LOL. Bev, I'm not exactly new to sphere making. I've had this machine for nearly 20 years. It's down right now, needing a source of the round belts it uses.

I just "Bing"ed "O-rings" and there are a multitude of suppliers out there...............
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 10:24:35 am »

Thanks Don (Jake..) that means it works for smaler sphere, another question : Are those two cillinders turned opposite direction? how about that one with three cillinder? How about the RPM?
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 10:39:49 am »

Daniel, the littl machine will make spheres from 1/4 inch up to about 1-1/2 inch in diameter.

All of the motors turn in the same direction. They create a random spinning action to the piece being turned.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 11:11:56 am »

Daniel, the littl machine will make spheres from 1/4 inch up to about 1-1/2 inch in diameter.

All of the motors turn in the same direction. They create a random spinning action to the piece being turned.
... is that mean both two cillinders tip in last machine turn opposite? because if all motors turn same direction and they put face to face like that so those cillinders tips must be opposite turning. Rpm on videos looks slow to me and all standard motors used to has 1440 rpm, and i think if that little machine turning at 1440 rpm the sphere will possibly dashed like a bullet.... dunno
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 11:36:35 am »

Daniel, both motors on the small machine and the 3 motors on the machine I'm building turn clockwise. Since they're opposite each other, it would appear that they turn opposite directions.

They for the most part use motors with reduction gearing attached directly to them. However I have seen some home made machines that use pulleys to achieve the low speed needed. My little machine uses both. It has the gear reduction boxes on the motors, a small pulley on each motor and a large pulley on each spindle.

I'm not sure what the shaft speed of my small machine is, but the machine I'm building has a speed of 106 RPM's out of the gear boxes. It will directly turn the cutters, without additional pulleys.

The motors I'm using on the new machine are surplus parts from old Xerox copy machines. They are getting hard to find, so I bought 5 of them so I would have spares if needed.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

Michael
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 03:37:50 pm »

older sewing machings used round belts
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 04:56:22 pm »

My broken belts measure 14" long and 3/16" diameter. The local sewing machine repair shop wasn't able to find replacements.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

Sheldon74

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:20 pm »

I love spheres!  I wish I had a sphere making machine to make them.  Might have to be my next project!
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »

They aren't that hard to build. You may have a problem finding the motors though. If you decide to build one, you can PM me with any questions. I'm always happy to help a fellow rocker.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 09:09:55 pm »

Thank you very much Don...you are awsome friend, can i see what smaller cutters part looks like from the front/inside it?
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 09:21:25 pm »

It's in the basement right now. I'll take some pics tomorrow. Almost bed time over here.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »

No problem Don, have a good rest....thank you yes
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 09:41:36 pm »

Oh what the heck. One pic tonight. If you want more, I'll take them tomorrow.

The cutters are made of brass. As you can see, they're tapered to the inside on one end. A threaded center hole runs through the middle, and the heads just screw on to the spindles. These are 4 of the 5 sets of heads. The largest heads are on the machine.

Report Spam   Logged

Don

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 10:41:45 pm »

Oo....You don't need to do that...thank you so much Don, so kind you are. Now i know those cutters need a coarse sic grid to cut and polish with those cutters too with one of polishing powder like tin oxide, cerium oxide or any yippie.
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 10:59:20 pm »

Daniel, the cutters must be taken off the machine and cleaned very good when changing grits. When I get to the polishing stage, I fasten a piece of soft leather over each head with a piece of wire. The leather will hold the polish and give a very good polish.

And now I'm off to bed. LOL
Report Spam   Logged

Don

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 11:24:53 pm »

Have a good rest Don..... yes
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
tntmom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 11:30:00 pm »

This is wonderful Don!!!!!  You know I am completely oblivious to spheres...... but......gosh I want to make one some day!!!!!!

You make things look so much easier than they are!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 11:31:04 pm »

LOL, I'll get to bed sometime tonight. Our 4th of July holiday is tomorrow. It sounds like a war zone around here. Fireworks going off everywhere. My poor dog is a nervous wreck. I probably won't get to bed until the noise stops. My dog wants to sit in my lap for protection.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 11:34:24 pm »

This is wonderful Don!!!!!  You know I am completely oblivious to spheres...... but......gosh I want to make one some day!!!!!!

You make things look so much easier than they are!!!!!

Not really that hard to build Krystee. If you have access to a drill press and bandsaw, and have good math skills you can do it.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 11:05:56 pm »

Woo Hoo ! ura ura ura  I just found belts on ebay for my little sphere machine. Gonna cost $17.00 shipping included for a set of 6 belts. I only need 2, so I'll have spares. Can't wait to get that little machine turning again. hairy1
Report Spam   Logged

Don

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: