Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 24, 2017, 10:53:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Modular construction for shop and storage.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modular construction for shop and storage.  (Read 753 times)
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 10:43:39 pm »

...bet he had a heck of a forearm, lol...!
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »

Actually, the gloved hand is only used to keep the sphere preform from jumping off the cutter cup. I helped with a couple of his spheres. Pretty simple and low tech.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 12:06:47 pm »

Well, for the last few days the dreaded honeydo list and a holiday got in the way of my bench project. After a couple of morning honeydo's, I think I can finally get a start on the project. Just for starters. here's a pic of the components that will be used as a dust extractor system.

At the bottom are the motor wiring connectors and the special screws used with muffin fans.

The top row.

Finger guards for the fans.

3 muffin fans at 90 CFM each, for a total airflow of 270 cubic feet of air draw per minute.

Motor mount for 3 fan motors.

1"thick, washable foam filter with metal frame.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 03:57:21 pm »

As usually happens, life got in the way of this project. (Actually honeydo's got in the way). But I have made a little progress prefabbing pieces.

First both end frames.

And next the pieces that will run the length of the bench.

I hope that I'll be able to get in to town this week for the birch plywood that will be used for the sides , back and top shelf. The work surface will be 3/4" MDF.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 09:07:25 pm »

I should explain that the series 10 pieces that I'm using are only 1" square. The almost honeycomb interior of them gives them great rigidity and strength. There is a roughly 1/4" hole running the length, right up the center. The wall thickness of the holes is thick enough that I'll be able to tap them and add locking wheels to the bottom of the bench.

Not a good pic. Too much reflection from the flash. But this is what the cross section of these pieces looks like. The slot in each side is for T-nuts to attach other pieces. The slots are slightly over 1/4" wide, making them ideal for sliding 1/4" plywood or another 1/4" material into.

Report Spam   Logged

Don

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 05:30:53 am »

Don, what's the combined power draw of those muffin fans? I almost bought some of the ones you linked over in carol's thread awhile back but it seems I remember the draw being kind of high. Been out sick for awhile so trying to catch up - apologies if I missed anything obvious.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 07:50:52 am »

Frank, it varies by the brand and size of muffin fan. Top draw on the fans I'm using is 130 ma per fan.

OOPS !! Forgot watts. Each fan draws about 10 watts. 3 fans = about the same as running a small string of Christmas lights.

Since the fans will only run when I'm cleaning a specimen, there really won't be that much power usage. I have 2 similar fans pushing warm air from around the fire box in my fireplace. Even in times of heavy usage, I barely notice a difference in my electric bill.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: