Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 22, 2017, 11:07:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

New respirator

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New respirator  (Read 842 times)
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2013, 02:16:58 pm »

I just got done with a three hour sessions on the 80 grit wheel hogging off rock and getting covered in spray . I wore a new respirator today , a flimsy looking 3M model . This mask is a very flimsy looking light grey mask with rectangular filters and it is fabulous. I have a bit over a size 8 hat size and wear tri-focals so it is easy for a mask not to fit well and impede my vision . As an asthmatic the cut of the mask is of concern as some seem to make it worse. This mask was light and flexible which made it comfortable despite my being on the outside edge of it's designed size range. It virtually totally blocked my mouth which seems to have eliminated any aggravation of the asthma. The low profile of the mask allowed the tri-focals to stay exactly where they needed to be to work , and did not interfere with my external ear protection. No mistake this time , I will buy a bunch of these and many replacement particulate cartridges immediately before they change anything . Good news on the safety front.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Mary Ann
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:24:33 pm »

That sounds great! What was the model number? I'm always looking for better ones to try.
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »

Please do share the model number or a photo; I'm always on the look-out for a better respirator.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:22:42 pm »

It is a 3M model 6000 half -face respirator which comes in small,medium and large. The particulate filters are 3M 7093 P100respirator filter.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 06:24:53 pm »

That's the same series face-piece I use Frank. I like it a lot. I haven't tried those cartridges - it looks like they're well geared to be protected against loading via spatter. I haven't had any trouble with that yet but mine are very exposed - a good splash would end my session.

Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:35:51 pm »

Finally someone with a bigger hat size than I have! I wear a 7-3/4 and have a heck of a time finding one big enough to fit my head. When I was in boot camp in the US Navy they had to make up a special order for myself and another guy, he was 7'-1" tall a real giant of a man and I was on 5'-11"! I looked like a midget next to him and we had another guy that was 5'-6" that took a size 7-5/8 hat, we were the three Fat Heads.
I need one of those respirators that runs off of a battery pack and has a HEPA filter, hose and helmet to wash clean air over your face. A friend of mine has one for his wood turning. He and I both have full beards and that makes a strap on respirator almost worthless, too much leakage through all the facial hair. The problem is those things start at around $900 and go up from there. dunno
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:43:45 pm »

The big hat thing is a real pain . Worse was no hard hats for climbing for many years that would fit and so I would get dinged a lot in the mountains. Add size 17 feet and you have the real prize , few shoes also.
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:02:58 pm »

You know Frank I've been looking for a good respirator as I also have asthma.  However all I currently have is a 3M mask that fits over the nose and mouth and it's not 100% effective.  And it also fogs up my glasses - I hate that!  I'll have to look to see what I can find in this respirator type locally.  Thanks for the tip!  yes
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:07:18 pm »

I was kept out of many community bike rides because I didn't have a bike helmet, they just don't make them that big! My youngest son at 10 was wearing an XXL adult bike helmet and the danged thing sat on top of my head like cup cake wrapper. And the XXL adult helmet just barely fit my oldest son. As to shoes I wear a size 13 eeee, not that easy to find, miss one of e's and it's too narrow, that was tough go in the Navy too. Most guys took what was handed to them but I held out for the right size and got no blisters from marching to and fro. Damn, I hated marching, after boot camp not too much of that crap. My 7'-1" buddy had to wear his own shoes until almost the end of boot camp when they finally got his custom shoes in, I don't remember the size but you could almost land a Phantom F-4 on them.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »

I just emailed my wood turning friend and this is what he now has, loves it.
Report Spam   Logged

Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:19:36 pm »

Thanks for the info.  Always need one when airbrushing glazes.
Report Spam   Logged

tntmom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »

Would this one be similar to the one that both of you Frank's use?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Low-Maintenance-Half-Mask-Respirator-Assembly/dp/B00004Z4EB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369334825&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+respirator

I need to order one today as I've noticed that during the last couple of years every time I get a cold it goes into a bronchial infection.  I think I'm breathing too much dust especially with the dry polish like Zam?
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 02:12:41 pm »

Same one . Quite comfortable and light . living in the modern world is quite the assault on the lungs ( ask asthma sufferers) so protecting yourself from additional harm is smart.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 02:30:46 pm »

There are times of the year when you need something like that in the Phoenix area, in the winter when we get inversions and the pollution gets trapped by a cold air layer above the warm desert and in the summer when we have some very bad dust storm and the visibility drops to mere feet, lots of nasty stuff in the air. Still it's not as bad a Peking China, there you can slice it with a knife. bricks 
Report Spam   Logged

tntmom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 02:42:49 pm »

Thanks!  I'm going to go ahead and order it today.  In addition to having a bad cold right now I've been a little paranoid because in the last several months I have been working a lot of copper ore and other materials like Pietersite, Tiger's eye and even all the obsidian I do creates tiny glass dust.  Not a good thing if this stuff starts collecting in my lungs, which it could be already with all of my recent bronchial problems....  In the past a cold would only last a couple days, now if I develop a cough it seems to hang on for a couple weeks and interferes with my sleep!!!  bricks
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 05:14:43 pm »

A few years back when my blood pressure went through the roof suddenly my doctor put me on this one medication and after a few weeks on it I  had this small but persistent  cough, especially bad at night, turns out it was caused by the medication so I was switched to another one and in a few days it was gone. Some folks who come down with Valley Fever also have a cough like this or congestive heat disease and even the start of silicosis. If it continues get it checked out, we sure don't want to be sick for very long.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 06:59:32 pm »

My smoking probably has nothing to do with it saved1
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 05:37:07 pm »

You SMOKE!!! Now stop that right now or I'm sending Smoky the Bear over to stomp that fire out yes
Report Spam   Logged

Barclay

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 12:25:18 pm »

If you are planning to spend a lot of time wearing the respirator and you have a lung condition you may want to look in to a powered air purifying respirator (PAPR).  They have a battery pack and they blow air into the mask instead of your lungs having to pull it through the cartridge.  The blown air also cuts down on fogging.  They may be a bit pricey though as they are made for use in more highly contaminated atmospheres.  Our friends at OSHA say that you should have your doctor evaluate you for wearing a respirator before you start wearing one.  Sick lungs and hearts may not be up to the strain this places on your body.  My personal preference would be to find a way for ventilation to push or pull the dust away so you don't need a respirator.
Report Spam   Logged

Lowly Padawan of rocks
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 02:21:11 pm »

Good advice . So far I have been fortunate as the respirator has never brought on an asthma attack  and I have never found myself wheezing after using mine. Cross my fingers.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: