Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 22, 2017, 05:44:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Hello!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 583 times)
StevesStones
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:09:23 am »

Hello, I've just joined so after this brief intro I'll take a look around.

I've collected gemstones from all over the world for a little over 20 years, mostly on my own as I didn't know anyone else interested in this hobby in my area, although a well-travelled friend and uncle have been great buying stones for me, particularly from Brazil.

Last year I thought it about time I started sharing and receiving advice but have not had too much time to do anything about it, until now.

I'm also interested in contemporary jewellery design and may do something with a few of my more obscure or smaller stones. I'm building a website at the moment so I can show them off and maybe trade a few, but it's far from finished yet.

I don't know if it's relevant but I live on the south coast of the UK.

I'm off to explore the site.
Steve
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:26:20 am »

Good to have another Limey Brit!  yes Welcome to the forum from N. Illinois! Jump right in  ura
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:32:45 am »

Hi there, jump in and enjoy.

If you got questions; there are lots of friendly knowledgeable folks here who will have answers.

On the other hand; we love pics, so lets see what you got.
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
RegisG
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:46:57 am »

Welcome! Glad to have you join. Lot of nice folk here.

And it is always nice to have some idea what part of the world people here are living.

RG
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:16:41 am »

Welcome. I like your Dulcote agates over there. I'm sure people would like to see some pictures of your corner of the world.
Report Spam   Logged

StevesStones
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:39 am »

Thanks for the welcome! Very nice of you.

Regarding pics, I'm waiting for the delivery of one of those USB microscopes so I can get in really close without too many depth of field problems, so when I get it I'll start putting them on my website. I think there may be too many to put on here (about 500 or so) so maybe I can select a few beauties and show those?

I also have a few mineral rocks that I can't identify. They were all bought in India, which should help to narrow it down, but I can't find what they are. I'll take a few pics of those too and post them up. I bought them while on holiday but the street trader didn't know what they were either.

Also, while I'm on a roll, I posted a new thread in the Silversmithing/Metalsmithing thread but it's disappeared. Basically, what I wanted to know was if I can follow the same technique I use for building brass models to building silver models? The technique I use is to design a 2d plan of an item (a model railway loco in this case), send it off to get etched then solder it together when it comes back. I've seen some etch work on here but it looks more like creating patterns than etching right through to create a part, and etching half-way through to create a fold line. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
Steve
Report Spam   Logged
StevesStones
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:07:59 am »

Test post for pics

* IMG_1014s.jpg (55.48 KB, 567x425 - viewed 11 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 07:15:05 am »

Welcome Steve!

This forum is hinky, if you type too long (say 30 seconds!) it'll say you've timed out. All you have to do is resubmit. I wasn't paying attention to what the screen was saying when I first got here, and alot of my postings went off into the ether. Just scroll down a little to make sure your posting took.

I love your minatures, and hope to learn alot from you re: them. Look forward to seeing more pictures.

Debbie K

P.S. If you don't want to overwhelm us with pictures (500 or so), how about adding a link to your website so folks like us who are interested can go look.
Report Spam   Logged
Hummingbirdstones
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 07:38:28 am »

Welcome to the forum, Steve, from Northern Arizona!  Looking forward to seeing your rocks!   saved7
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
StevesStones
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 08:20:31 am »

Thanks again!

The pic below is what I'd try to replicate but in silver instead of brass. By the way, I'm not necessarily planing on making bejewelled steam locos, but I do want to follow the same method in making other contemporary models that I can set stones in. Cheers for looking and commenting.

* IMG_0976s.jpg (125.1 KB, 567x425 - viewed 13 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:49:44 am »

Steve:

Whoever is doing your etching is doing a really good job. I have a rectifier and plan to try to do electroetching but haven't gotten around to it yet. If you are interested, I will find the website where I found detailed instructions on electroetching (silver). The acid etching is messy and unpredictable and not suitable for doing such detailed miniatures like what you are doing. I think electroetching might be the only way to go.

The soldering and all the construction would be the same: I find that silver is much easier to solder than copper or brass.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy yourself here.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 09:23:35 am »

Welcome from south central BC
I usually don't have much to add but my eyes so the pictures are great; my mom would catch me looking at scientific journals and magazines and I would hastilly explain that I was "only looking at the pictures"!!!
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

StevesStones
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 09:25:30 am »

Thanks for the offer Debbie, I've just got off the phone from the supplier who did my brass etchings. They don't etch in silver but they gave me the contact of a company that does, and they've worked for jewellery designers previously so it all looks good! I've got a few designs to finalise and then I'll post them here and on my blog when I've finished them.

By the way, you're all welcome to visit my blog site. I have to warn you that I only started it yesterday so it's very much a skeleton of what it will be. I'll start putting some teaser posts on there at some point with my plans for my jewellery designs.

Come visit!
http://stevesstones.blogspot.co.uk/
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:05 am »

welcome2 .................to the................... party2 .................from New Mexico..................... hatsoff ........from another Steve
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

StevesStones
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:02:49 am »

Love the welcome Steve it's so colourful it looks like my gem collection!
Cheers
Report Spam   Logged
RobertM

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 10:14:45 am »

Welcome Steve .......... From South Africa!
Report Spam   Logged
lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 10:24:08 am »

Hi and welcome Steve..... saved7
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
metalartz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 12:55:23 pm »

Welcome! Glad to have you join.
Report Spam   Logged

David

StevesStones
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 02:56:19 pm »

Thanks again all for the welcome, I'm a little overwhelmed!

I'll pull up a chair and put the kettle on...
Report Spam   Logged
StevesStones
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 03:07:42 pm »

Oh! Before I forget, I found a few pics I took a while ago of those rocks from India I was talking about earlier. The Amethyst is easy and I'm reasonably sure the largest one is some form of Quartz but the rest I don't know. I don't have any of my chemical analysis equipment any more so I can't test them myself.

If anyone recognises them let me know.

P.S. I realise I may be taking liberties by posting these images in this thread knowing you have a section for minerals, so if any Admins are watching, please feel free to move this post to its appropriate place!

* IMG_1323.JPG (219.28 KB, 850x638 - viewed 9 times.)

* IMG_1324.JPG (226.14 KB, 850x638 - viewed 11 times.)

* IMG_1325.JPG (188.24 KB, 850x638 - viewed 14 times.)

* IMG_1326.JPG (152.85 KB, 850x638 - viewed 10 times.)

* IMG_1327.JPG (180.92 KB, 850x638 - viewed 11 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
urbtaf
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »

Hi Stevestones about time there were a few more of us brits on here!
Im up in Yorkshire but do get down to my sisters in Topsham Devon a few times a year. Would move there if I could afford it, but since Jonny Dep moved into the town its way out of my price.
The clear mineral looks like Apophyllite, very common from India, to be sure the points will all have a line where the tip meets the main crystal, I have some nice green Apophyllite in my shop, quite a bit more rare.
Enjoy it on here, a good bunch of rock obsessed people.
Report Spam   Logged
StevesStones
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 02:55:30 pm »

Thanks urbtaf, when I get time I'll take them somewhere to get checked out. I can't imagine any of them are valuable but they'll be OK for paperweights or desk ornaments.

We have a few rock stars where we are that push up the house prices. Their kids are often the worst!
Report Spam   Logged
tntmom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 10:21:43 pm »

welcome2 Steve from Western Washington US!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

SEW1950
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 08:56:20 pm »

clapper    Hello from Wisconsin, US. As a newbie, let me assure you that this warm welcome will continue. Great bunch of enthusiastic and talented folks here and you'll love the archives.
Admirable precision design you've got going, it will be interesting to see it applied to jewelry.    clapper
Report Spam   Logged
StevesStones
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 03:49:22 am »

A truly lovely welcome, thanks very much!
Report Spam   Logged
DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 07:03:38 am »

Welcome from the Florida Keys!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: