Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 20, 2017, 01:23:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Carved out a space in my basement for our studio

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carved out a space in my basement for our studio  (Read 587 times)
Greenstone
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:37:20 am »

We have a pretty old house c.1904 and our basement is known as a Michigan basement.  Stones and mortar taper out into the space and create an area that isn't so usable as there are straight walls and no power.  My wife (after getting the lapidary bug) gave me the green light on moving things in our basement around to make room for the construction of our new lapidary studio!

I'm a teacher and spent 3 days during Christmas vacation to make this happen, here is after 24 hours:

I framed it with 2x2s attempting to save every square inch possible. I had the Romex but had to buy the outlets and boxes.

After 48 hours:

We have a great surplus store about 10 miles away where I got the paneling for 8 bucks a sheet  and the counter for a very reasonable 55.  All together the entire space was built for less than $200 but the indoor work area when it's 10 degrees out today is priceless...  I think there is a Mastercard commercial in there somewhere!

Here it is all loaded up:

I had to include a tv that was going unused in another room ...my weakness for hockey!

and for the equipment junkies here is a close-up of all the machines:

My 20 Highland Park remains out in the garage

Frantom 10" small slab saw

Lortone 6" trim saw

Raytech hot dop (good ol' lightbulb heat!)

Raytech Diamond Jem

I put the sponge wheels on instead of the expandable rubber that came with it because the bands kept shifting on me they work OK but they are VERY loud.

Craftsman 8" flat lap (I love the design of this!)

a future project is building a cabinet for this so I can mount the motor vertically inside the unit instead of having such a long belt to carry a twist.

Here is my Lortone 20" vibratory flat lap

still have yet to use this but had to buy it when the opportunity came up, you all understand!

Flat storage to fill with slabs after I clean out all my photography stuff from my life as a Photo program grad

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:47:21 am »

great shop; glad you framed it out well away from the wiring in the background and left it accessable. sure don't want to just panel it over the way i have seen some.
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

Greenstone
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:51:43 am »

I know! I actually planned the pegboard at the end just to be able to remove that one panel to access both ends of both walls.
Report Spam   Logged
tntmom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:44:01 pm »

Well done!!!  Love the TV lol!  Now all you need is the mini fridge for your drinks  yes
Report Spam   Logged

~Krystee

Self Employed at Kristinegniotdesigns on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/KristineGniotDesigns?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Facebook business page:  https://www.facebook.com/kristinegniotdesigns?ref=bookmarks
Proud member of East Kingco Rock Club:  http://www.eastkingco.org/index.php

Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  Today is a gift, that's why it's called The Present.

spirit bear beads
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:50:32 pm »

Great Job!   Love what you have done and thanks for all the photos...
OH I second the mini fridge.....  I have graduated to a small real fridge. (Craigslist $150) My old mini fridge just couldn't hold the assortment of beverages required.
Keeps the guys happy and the grandkids too!
Report Spam   Logged
Allen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:54:47 pm »

You have preformed magic there Stephen.

Well done.

I for one are envious of such a great workshop.

Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »

Nice job! No stereo? yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:20:29 pm »

You created a subherb workspace there.

The one thing that I seem to miss though; is ventilation to get rid of dust.  dunno
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 06:25:26 pm »

Very nice.....but too clean.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

madfabricator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:34:05 am »

Nice set up. I can hardly wait to get a house with a basement. A couple more years. I'm 1/3 of the way to the down payment, selling my junk on ebay and all my plastic fabrication, vinyl signs and what not. I only hope to have a spread like that, Very cool.
Report Spam   Logged

Troy
I do three kinds of work, good, fast and cheap. I can only do two at a time. If you want it good and cheap it won't be fast. If you want it fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want it good and fast it won't be cheap.
Charles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:15 am »

Great looking work area. It looks well thought out. One question remains though why is that slab saw so clean??????

iamjealous

Charles
Report Spam   Logged

Greenstone
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 02:01:49 pm »

LOL Charles! That was one condition on creating the studio, It HAD to be organized and kept tidy  shemademe.  But when I sit down to work I like nice equipment and often wipe the machines down a bit after I'm done.  I may have cleaned up a bit more than normal for pics as well plus it was just made and everything is clean.

3rdRock the iPod dock stereo is the black square to the right of the TV

Still looking for the right mini fridge!!! saved1
Report Spam   Logged
Roger
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:07:31 pm »

Wow nice space you created. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: