Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 27, 2017, 01:23:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Every thing JADE and about Jade

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Every thing JADE and about Jade  (Read 2306 times)
snowmom

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 04:43:20 am »

Thanks Debbie K,  I'll have to figure out how to PM you. (exciting possibilities , thanks so much!) There is one piece still at Univ. Tn. being analyzed, so maybe that will bear fruit, I'll post results here.  Would love to see pictures of everybody's jade, I can't get enough.
I especially love photos of rough and then pictures of the interior. It helps so much when I'm in the field to be able to picture what I might find. Do I need to start another thread? 
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 07:06:23 am »

I'll try to post a picture of it later today when I get back, and put it next to some typical California green and Polar so you guys can see the color difference.

In the meantime, here's the website with Michael Hoover's knives with it on the scales. http://www.washingtonjade.com/

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
ileney

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2015, 12:25:48 pm »

I thought It might be good to start a thread top discuss every thing about Jade and things formed from Jade. 

I thought a good start point would be my test polish table.  I do a test polish on any new Jade I am going to be using.  It helps to keep them together both as I find them pleasing to have in the shop and when I am using a piece I like to look at the polished test piece as I can tell by looking what steps I will be using to get the best polish.

This is very important as scales on a knife are a lot more difficult to polish than a curved surface such as you would get cutting a cab.  In fact, I cannot get quite as good a polish on most knives than that on the test piece.

Here are the test piece Jades I use the most -

Wow. What alot of Jade. I know nothing about Jade. At all. I might most of the time be able to tell that something made of malachite, prehnite, aventurine or chrysoprase in NOT jade, but that is about it, and even then... I don't have testing equipment.

I am hoping someone can help me. This is an old thread, but some of you might have some knowledge of what I have just based upon my description and  if it is something I can cab and sell inexpensively or if it might be more valuable than I realize. What I have is a small 3" x 2" box of a large number of labelled varieties of jade,  and a few blocks or pieces of green stone. This was from stuff my father gave me from our old house and is most likely things he picked up between 50 and 35 years ago.  (I actually put everything together in one box because it was scattered all over in between ancient equipment when I got it, so it might not have all gone together originally. )

I am guessing it was some sort of sample pack you could order at one time to decide what else you would get? It's a bunch of small "jade" slabs, most about 1.5" by 1" by 5mm or so, maybe a bit larger and each one labelled individually with a glued paper tag, with just one of each, as follows: From Medocino CO. CA. - Green Leaf Nephrite, Mendocino Green Nephrite, olive glow nephrite, Mountain Meadow Nephrite, Eel River Brown Nephrite, Golden Green Nephrite, Alpine Lichen Nephrite, Spring Moss Nephrite, Bland's Mountain Jadeite and Mosaic Jadeite. From Trinity CO. CA. - Wild Canary Nephrite, Damask Jadeite and Ivory and Green Jadeite. From San Benito CO. CA. - Twilight Blue Green Jadeite, and Chloromelanite (what is that?). From Sonoma Co. CA. - Mountain Mahogany Nephrite. From Butte Co. CA. - Butte Black Nephrite. From Skagit CO. Washington - Deer Creek Nephrite. From Fremont CO. WYO. - Desert Sage Nephrite and lastly From Guatemala - Mayan Jadeite. Anyone know if there was a mine or shop this came from and anything else about it?

There were also two unlabelled slabs, some green stones and a couple of rectangular blocks that may be nephrite or jadeite or as near as I can tell any one of a dozen or more green stones, because, again, I really find all the green stuff to start to look alike after a while and don't have test equipment.

One of the unlabelled slabs is larger and is extremely pretty. It is translucent meaning I can see the shadow of my fingers behind it. I am not absolutely sure that came with the rest, but it was green, and I think it looks like nephrite to me (if that means anything.)I have a picture below of it and the other mystery stones. Any thought about if these other stones are jades or what they are, if the small box of jade slabs has any value beyond say any especially nice agate, and any other info. ? I do have a label for a 1/2 lb. piece of green aventurine from the "orient" bought at the Parser Mineral Corporation in Danbury, CT and am guessing that is the obviously aventurine looking light color rough stone. I believe the darker green polished slab with the white streak next to it may also be aventurine even though it is darker than usual because it has that sparkly texture/look aventurine gets.  The very light green worn beachy looking stone is actually very soft and I don't know if it could be variscite? Some kind of turquoise?  Any ideas? What about the blocks? The sort fo triangular one looks like it could be black jadeite? The others are all green. Thank you to all for looking and any educated guesses.

* IMG_3424-2.JPG (144.95 KB, 640x640 - viewed 3 times.)

* IMG_3407-2.jpg (75.01 KB, 480x640 - viewed 6 times.)

* IMG_3409.jpg (88.98 KB, 480x640 - viewed 7 times.)

* IMG_3412.JPG (58.34 KB, 640x480 - viewed 6 times.)

* IMG_3414.JPG (75.3 KB, 640x480 - viewed 6 times.)

* IMG_3416.JPG (57.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 5 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
ileney

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2015, 01:56:51 pm »

More pics. black jade? nephrite? 2 shades of green aventurine (second image of same stones, different angle)?

* IMG_3417.JPG (56.85 KB, 640x480 - viewed 3 times.)

* IMG_3415.JPG (70.51 KB, 640x480 - viewed 3 times.)

* IMG_3410-2.jpg (73.74 KB, 480x640 - viewed 4 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
kjsspot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 04:27:54 pm »

You can do Specific Gravity tests at home with a kitchen scale & water.  You should be able to find a video on YouTube that shows how.

Nephrite will be about 2.95 with a MOHS of 6.0-6.5
Jadeite will be about 3.4 with a MOHS of 6.5-7.0

And you can see if a steel blade will scratch it.  If it does, it's not jade.  Steel is about 5.5 so it won't scratch Jade.
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 05:17:25 pm »

The first stone definitely looks like nephrite, the fourth looks like imperial jasper. The last paler greens could be aventurine. It's hard to tell anything from the other photographs.

Do you have a jeweler's loupe? Aventurine looks grainy/sugary, jade looks felted. You can often tell jade by the heft; it's considerably heavier than quartz. If you have something you know is jade that's roughly the same size as the unknown, compare the weights.

Do look on Youtube for a specific gravity scale. They're pretty easy to make and invaluable to help eliminate possibilities. A kitchen scale is really not accurate enough for smaller pieces, but places like Harbor Freight sell ones that can do the job for about $20.00.

Mindat.org has a lot of information on gemstones and minerals and will give you hardness and specific gravity information, along with all sorts of other fun information.

Take a flashlight and go to edge of the darker stones and see if there is any translucency. Jade often glows.

You're lucky to have identified, marked pieces to compare your unknown pieces to; it makes it so much easier to make a determination. If your jadeite piece is jadeite, the difference in the heft ought to be noticeable in comparison to the nephrite.

You're lucky to get such a nice collection! Have fun!

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
creek_spyder

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2015, 08:21:55 pm »

Hi all I have some stones that hits the 3.2-3.4 specific gravity range. they are tough also.

The first two were found in trinity county(norcal), the last white one was found in clear creek, which is famous for having nice white jadeite.

I have no idea what jadeite rough looks like, only nephrite.

Anyone give a tip on visual ID? Would be excited to hear.

* Diopside green.jpg (1822.63 KB, 3264x1836 - viewed 3 times.)

* bluegreen 30 lbs.jpg (2244.25 KB, 3264x1836 - viewed 5 times.)

* White.jpg (330.33 KB, 918x1632 - viewed 3 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
zurn

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2015, 04:27:08 pm »

Hi Michael or anybody that may know about
Blue jade
very rare?
i read its from Calif.
Vonsen blue jade make sense?
the mining has supposedly been suspended
thx
Report Spam   Logged

Amethyst Rose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2015, 07:14:50 pm »

Vonsen Blue jade is real and is from California.  The pieces on Ebay seem to be around 1.00 per gram or so.  I have cut a few smaller pieces over the years but have never seen much rough available. 

The posts on ebay all say the area is worked out.

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 08:20:40 pm »

Washington State also has some blue jade, here are some examples http://www.washingtonjade.com/Premium%20Grades.html. I have a fairly good sized chunk and I really would say that it's bluish-green; in natural daylight you can see quite a bit of blue, but not so much under florescent light.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 10:14:31 pm »

The clear creek jadeite is blue and white. The white areas are the areas without metals that color the jade. The metal is normally iron which in different concentrations and ionic states can be blue , green , yellow , red , brown  and black . Here in Washington the true blue jade is almost always transient once it is exposed to either cutting oil or  ,longer term , the humidity in the air . I have cut many pieces that are robin egg blue ( if cut with water ) and almost all oxidize and turn brown.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: