Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 21, 2017, 02:31:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Every thing JADE and about Jade

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Every thing JADE and about Jade  (Read 2332 times)
Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:19 pm »

Directional cutting can really improve the final look of SOME Jades but most pieces can be cut in any direction.   Directional cutting is best on pieces with a layered structure and those pieces usually look best cut in the same direction as the layers so that you can "see" several of the layers.

Another type that needs directional cutting is Jade that is chatoyant or that has chatoyant bands.  You need to cut those like you would cut Tiger Eye.
Report Spam   Logged

southerly

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 11:41:05 pm »

Great topic. I am looking forward to learning more. Jade really has a fibrous structure so I can see how the "wings" might determine quality. The tighter bond the fibers have to each other, the better quality. I would think it would polish better too. Jade is such a mysterious gem. What about directional cutting of the rough? Would cutting and polishing in a certain direction produce a better polish, some gem material does. I have never experimented with jade, just thinking of the possibilities. Neat topic, Eric(Ajo)

It sure can, as Michael says convention is to cut with the grain. If you make two cuts at 90 degrees to each other the shinier is cutting across the grain. I cut some jade recently that fractured horribly whenever the carving bur struck it in one particular angle of about 5 degrees, any other angle and it cut beautifully.
Report Spam   Logged
southerly

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 11:50:47 pm »

As nephrite jade is the name given to a actinolite/tremolite mix where the crystals are felted together and often includes or grades into other minerals it is highly variable in the tightness of the felting, the grain size of the crystals and the direction of the grain and impurities. Therefore every piece of jade is different and as Michael points out often varies in the same boulder.

To further complicate things further nephrite is an alteration product of other minerals and grades between them in a metamorphic melange. It is these properties that make it both very tough and able to take fine carving and a challenge to cut and polish. There is probably more written about selecting, cutting and polishing jade than perhaps any other lapidary material.
Report Spam   Logged
Caveman420
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 08:02:14 am »

i think that i will never know.  Too many head injuries.  i am learning to find and work the jade we are blessed with here in Happy Camp CA.   Upon information and belief, it is the only place on the planet where gold has been found in jade.
i have several colors... green, aquamarine, apricot and white.
So far in have only experimented with making slabs and carving with dremell.  Last eve made a deal to purchase a seven station (6 grind/1 polish) and look forward to another therapeutic activity.

Music and weed are presently my GO TO activities, alas, something inside drives me to add rocks to the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/caveman420

thank you,

paul
Report Spam   Logged
itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 08:15:45 am »

I've not seen the CA material but Guatemala has some most excellent black jadeite with gold in it but you will rarely see it on the open market because of it's rarity and it gets snapped up by investment buyers right at the minesite
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 11:53:52 am »

There is Nephrite in the Happy Camp area but the most common material from there is Idocrase "Happy Camp Jade" and Grossular Garnet. The Idocrase on rare occasions does have small particles of embedded gold but it is really rare. I'm not aware of any Nephrite from there with gold in it.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 12:18:36 pm »

There is quite a bit of gold in jade being found at the moment in Washington as it is apparently on a commercial jade claim now being worked but the quality of the jade is often a big problem i suspect . I recently saw a stone cut from Happy Camp Idocrase that was as beautiful a cab as can be imagined, deep translucent green of the best color , magical.
Report Spam   Logged

liz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 02:15:40 pm »

Is big sur jade a good quality and how about california jade in general?

liz
Report Spam   Logged
wyrock

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 04:28:28 pm »

I have never had a problem with cutting Wyoming nephrite in any direction. It is incredibly tough and almost as tough when it is mixed (Frank and my opinion) with feldspar. I have tried to break slabs on healed fractures that would not follow the line. There are hidden fractures (almost impossible to see in a slab) that will fall apart in an instant though and I do not find them until I get ring blanks drilled and whack them on the table.

Every one of these have been put on my little finger and whacked on a wooden table eight or ten times and the only time they break is if there is a fracture. They are toast if you whack them on another rock.

I first started making rings out of agate and jasper and every one I gave away broke in the first day or two.
Jim
Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.
wyrock

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »

I should say that I have made rings with Washington translucent nephrite with black inclusions, thulite and glaucophane with the same success. The thulite and glaucophane are not quite as tough but I have had no breakage problems.

When I tried to drill a jade/nephrite that I got from Krystee in a cutting trade it split even though it had been cut with the grain
Jim
Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 05:49:37 pm »

I just go off the tile saw cutting jade cobbles. Each of the six  cobbles cut entirely differently . they had different hardness , a large range  , different types of white slime came off the cut , and some has flaking neat the skin and others had no sign of surface weakness. Always  a challenge with these.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 12:35:54 am »

I just received some nephrite from a friend. There was some white-green canadian (he said he was told it was from an old asbestos mine in Quebec) that I'm trying to ID. Any guesses? I love this stuff so far but also I'm wondering should I be anymore worried about asbestos than I would be with black jade (and many other it seems) ? Thanks

1 - Front (wet)

2 - Back-lit

Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 12:38:12 am »

I have never had a problem with cutting Wyoming nephrite in any direction. It is incredibly tough and almost as tough when it is mixed (Frank and my opinion) with feldspar. I have tried to break slabs on healed fractures that would not follow the line. There are hidden fractures (almost impossible to see in a slab) that will fall apart in an instant though and I do not find them until I get ring blanks drilled and whack them on the table.

Every one of these have been put on my little finger and whacked on a wooden table eight or ten times and the only time they break is if there is a fracture. They are toast if you whack them on another rock.

I first started making rings out of agate and jasper and every one I gave away broke in the first day or two.
Jim

I'm really in love with some of the wyoming nephrites I've seen - especially the apple green with no inclusions. Where do you get the stuff (please don't say "Wyoming!"  chuckle ) ?
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 01:50:42 am »

I'm really in love with some of the wyoming nephrites I've seen - especially the apple green with no inclusions. Where do you get the stuff (please don't say "Wyoming!"  chuckle ) ?

Wyoming jade is a bit hard to come by, because much of the jade that was found in Wyoming in the early days went to China and never came back. There are a few rock shops left in Wyoming, and they all seem to have a little jade, though not much of the inclusion-free apple. It was always rare. Most of what they have these days is the less desireable colors.

You'll find a rock shop in Torrington, a very small one in Laramie, (Green Gold) and Tynskis are still open in Rock Springs. I don't know whether any of the Rhodes descendants are still selling jade in Lander.

Wyrock, are there any rock shops in northern Wyoming still open?

I have a few pounds of apple green that is inclusion free. Sadly, it's mostly tiny scraps and off-cuts from thin slabs, good for inlay and tiny cabs, but not much more.
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 04:37:56 am »

Thanks Cowboy. I'll see if I can find any of those online. Another option would be a jade that is similar. There are lots of jades out there, I've just become very fond of that color and colors that are close. I had one piece one time that probably was wyoming but with inclusions. 1970's stock - leavings others didn't want probably through the 1980's and maybe a little beyond (though the place had a large amount of stock in rough and sort of languished for years because of it's location). So oddly, I was able to get very nice things like biggs jasper that, while you could see why it was passed over - was probably better than you can find most places today. Same with the jades. They sold out awhile back and moved (which killed me - crates and crates of beautiful agate slabs I could have gotten pretty cheap but I was new at this and being super picky thinking "every shop must have this stuff").

Anyway I saw the mention of "tough" and that's exactly what the jades, all of them, I bought at this place were. I didn't even know they were jade when I bought them - I was really green; just buying this and that if it looked neat or different. I didn't miss out on a lot but I could have had at least a few more slabs of maybe four or five different types and they were thick slabs, a little over a quarter inch. And "tough". You could grind any direction and shape any way you wanted - never had anything peel or crack from those. But - I didn't have much of it and so it didn't last.

I bought some wyoming actinolite awhile back and when I compared it to the wyoming actinolite I got from that shop - sheeeet - like night and day. The newer stuff isn't terrible and it does take a nice polish but the older material - well, you just couldn't go wrong no matter what you did.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: