Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 18, 2017, 09:05:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Official Inca Agate Contest thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Inca Agate Contest thread  (Read 4869 times)
NuevoMundo

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2012, 07:20:01 am »

OK, so this will be the official thread for the Inca Agate contest. Rules are as follows:

For cabbed/carved entries, a photo of the rough preform, and finished piece should be submitted. For jewelry/finished piece entries, you can share as much detail as you like about the construction process, but at a minimum you should have a picture of the unset stones, and then the finished piece.
You can submit ONE piece in each of THREE categories, for a maximum of three total entries.
The categories will be:
Cabbing
Carving
Finished jewelry/multimedia

There will be prize packages for winners in each category. I'll post photos of the prizes before voting begins.
Hopefully there will be enough entrants to do voting for all 3 categories separately. If there are not enough carvings than I may have to lump them in with cabs, but we can burn that bridge when we come to it. Note that you MAY use an item entered in the cabbing or carving categories to construct your finished item, or you can use another cab... it is up to you.

Entry fee is $25, for which you will receive a SFRB of cabbing rough (~1.5 lbs). If you would like me to send a bit extra, please PM me before sending payment and we can work it out. Extra material might be a good idea if you plan to enter more than one category. To send your payment, you can just use the paypal 'donate' button on the left-hand margin of the forum. Please be sure to include your mailing address in the 'notes' section.

So, if you got this far and are wondering, 'am I too late for this contest?', the answer is no, not yet. Below is a list of folks who have expressed an interest in participating. I hope to get boxes out by the end of next week (9/14/12), so if you would like to enter, please make sure you have sent your payment by Thursday evening.

Participants (confirmed):
NE Rocks
rocknroll
rac409
39don
3rdRockFromTheFun
asianfire
lonelygems

HelenStark
hulagrub
Helene
tntmom
redrockrods
vitzitziltecpatl
DonniesTreasures
Redwilder
metalartz
bgast1
SpiritBearBeads

Sound good to everyone? Any questions let me know!
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:22:16 am »

Sounds super to me........... clapper
Report Spam   Logged

helens
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 04:24:30 pm »

Sounds like fun to me too:).

Report Spam   Logged
NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:14:18 am »

Alright, so I came back from camping over the weekend and had a sudden attack of git-er-done-itis. I got 9 SFRBs packed and ready to go. Checked my paypal and wouldnt you know it exactly 9 folks have paid for their SFRB so today I am sending out the first 9 boxes.

YOU STILL HAVE UNTIL FRIDAY to enter, so don't worry... If you ordered extra quantity, I don't have yours packed yet, sorry.

I have been updating the list of potential and confirmed contestants. I think I have accurately lined up paypal addresses with usernames. If you have paid me, your name should appear in the 'confirmed contestants' list. If you expressed interest in the other thread, I have you down as unconfirmed. Names in bold are getting their packages shipped today.

Also, an important note about the structure of this contest: I've gotten a couple of folks describe the particular piece of rough they would like in terms of color, size, etc. I would ordinarily be HAPPY to help find you that perfect piece, but for the sake of this contest, everyone is getting RANDOM HANDFULLS of material. I figure with 1.5 lbs, everyone has a very good chance of getting some pieces of very high-grade agate, but I am not going to guarantee particular sizes, colors, patterns, etc. I don't look at this stuff when I grab it because I would be too tempted to keep the purty ones  hide 
I also figure that this is enough material so that anyone who is participating will have a good grasp of the quality variation in this material. Members can bear this all in mind and judge whether it is the craftsmanship or the quality of the stone that really carries the piece, and then work that into their voting formula. Does this make some sense? A way of evening the playing field in my mind.

If you are looking for a particular piece of rough, I would be happy to find it for you, but it could not be entered into this contest.

The only exception to this will be to our friends overseas, who have to pay half again what the rest of you pay for shipping alone. I will glance and make sure their stones are at least colorful enough to be worth the expensive shipping.

Does this sound reasonable to everyone? thoughts, questions, comments, criticisms, suggestions, insults. Toss 'em all my way...   bricks
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:03:46 am »

Tosses some hugs and kisses to Aaron for being so wonderful:) Did you catch them? :)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:20:36 am »

caught 'em Sara, thanks!  ura

One more thing, this is important so please let me know what you guys think.

For time frames, I was thinking the following: We have a couple international contestants, so they would have to post and let us know when they receive their packages. For cabbing entries, the deadline would be 2 weeks after the last person gets their package. For the carving and finished pieces the deadline would be 4 weeks after the last person gets their package.

Is this a reasonable time frame for everyone to do what they need to do for their entries? Im sure some folks are busy with work, life, etc. so if folks would like more time than this, please let me know. It is not set in stone (yet), but I will need to firm up a deadline by the time I ship out all the packages at the end of the week.

What do y'all think?
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:55:27 am »

I know this sounds like a lot but for carving 6 weeks would be better for me. Since I'm a newbie I'll suck it up and be happy with 4 if that's what the rest want.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:17:24 pm »

Two weeks after the last contestant recieves sounds good.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:39:40 pm »

Okay, so.... how about 2 weeks for the cabs, and 6 weeks for the carvings and jewelry? This might be better for folks that wanted to enter all 3 contests.

How does that sound?
Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:50:13 pm »

that sounds great to me!
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:01:22 pm »

Sounds great all round. Looking forward to the treasures everyone is going to turn out.

Thanks again for giving us a chance to work with that material. I might have missed it, but where exactly does this material come from, and it best known for .......?
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
Helene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 08:02:14 pm »

Perfect. 
Report Spam   Logged

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 09:07:03 pm »

I'm ok with 6 weeks time frame after the last person received the box......and thanks for giving us a change to joint in the event yippie
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
helens
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:40 pm »

I'm fine with whatever everyone else is fine with:).
Report Spam   Logged
NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »

Alright, I got another few packages packed up today, so tomorrow I will ship for everyone who has paid so far except our friends in Asia. I will pack Kurt and Daniel's tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: