Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 23, 2017, 03:49:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Study of Curvature and Uniformity - One More 07/10 (pic HEVEEEE)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Study of Curvature and Uniformity - One More 07/10 (pic HEVEEEE)  (Read 1503 times)
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2012, 10:25:12 am »

Hmm, are you trying to polish carved one? if yes, i think you go the right way, the most important is sanding.....i always make sure that i did sanding ( with abreasive paper rolled on mandrel ) right and as perfect as i can. Usually, its already shined with 360 and 1000, colours is already nice...and than i took my bamboo stick ( i'm sure dowel/wood is fine becaause i had try with very soft wood ) with diamond powder and oil, it would fastly shined. Last step is i put cosmetic cotton on bamboo with higest grid diamond i have.

If you trying to polish a cab, i'm sure for the last step you only need cotton on your wood stick with diamond powder and oil, or diamond paste. I'm thinking about too much presure or need more speed, i used 20.000 rpm or for the last 30.000 rpm without presure. Sometime i used this method to repolish my cab.

Note: When polish with thin wood or bamboo, i need to moved my hand quick and dynamicaly. More hard stick, i need more dynamic in my hand (i used stainlessteel stick also) and it must good centered.

I did cabs, all prepolished to a pretty decent shine already. I think you are right about the speed is part of the problem - 900rpm is slow, but I like the idea because if I can get it to work I can try courser grits which fly off the stick on me when I use a dremel even at it's lowest speed.

I can't wait for you polishing post - I hope you include all of this information so I can print it out and put it in my book (yes, I have a book of all the really good stuff I read online and here at the forum). I had good luck with bamboo for polishing what pete calls a lense (If memory serves) effect. Just a ball bur halfway or less into a surface followed by bamboo dressed with a round tip and grit (some things I seem to have to use 600 then 14K diamond grit - other things I can go straight to 14K). I have a good example but I don't want to show it yet because it's part of a surprise I'm working on and I still have quite a ways to go. But the dishes/lenses polish very nicely - like real lenses almost.

I did not try the cotton. I have several ideas for that (cotton sleeve, felt, carpet and a few others just to test - but first I have to stay simple or nothing will happen at all except I will look at it and say - okay someday  saved1 )

Thanks for all your input Daniel - it's encouraging to me - helps keep me on track.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

pete
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2012, 05:58:15 pm »

Frank, don't be discouraged by your experiments because it's showing that each tool you make has its own specific application. The waviness you, referred to also happens with Nova points if you try to sand too large an area.  Generally I try to use the largest tool that will fit the area.  Waviness can also be caused by chattering of the burr. with word burrs it's easy to keep them dressed with sandpaper.
 I'd have some reservations about a large wooden spinning disc.  It needs to be very accurately made to avoid bumping issues, which means made on a lathe, and with no crossing of the wood grain ie either all end grain or all side grain otherwise the side grain will wear quicker causing flat spots on the wheel. The other thing is the drill is not designed for the  side loads caused by using the periphery of the wheel.
 Anyway, food for thought
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2012, 07:23:13 am »

Thanks pete - I'm not giving up yet. Yes this is a $10 drill (Walmart) - not even sure the motor is designed for forward load chuckle but I'll keep hacking away at it between my newly-found mission of carving out a style for myself (which is coming along surprisingly well - and it's based largely on the pieces you see in this thread).
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:42 am »

I'm not sure when i will post my polishing method because my very little time.....almost full 12 hours a day with jewelries project now to get finish in time, but sure i will.... yes
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:09 am »

Hope you make enough money to come see us Daniel here in the States. Why work all that hard if you don't get some benes.. (benefits).
Please post what you are designing as I love to see what delights you are creating.
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »

Well......it is my gratitude too my very best friend and also my partner who's suported me totally, he helped me so much, i can't go far in lapidary without supported by him. Unfortunately i can't post this one, designs belongs to Italian designer who gave my best friend and me trust and order.

I don't want to take any profit from this project because he already gave me......he insisted to give me additional money but i'm more insisted to not.
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2012, 01:44:22 pm »

Your customer sounds like he/she appreciates you very much Daniel.  And I do too:) I think you are wonderful:)
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2012, 03:48:01 pm »

OKAY - ONE MORE

This is a piece of Montana agate that is nicely botryoidal and has a fortification formation with a tiny corner of waterline banding within. NOTE: This is not Iris Agate - any colors you see in the banding are artifacts such as colors behind the piece or lensing of the light due to curvature of the psuedo-facets (I believe that's what you call those?). Trust me - I spend a lot of time going through all of my agate looking carefully for the iris effect - thus far no joy.

This is actually the third permutation of this piece, a free-form worry-stone I initially made by hand with diamond files and sandpaper. That rendition had mud-like inclusions (the ones that look like little floating islands) that I left half exposed on the fringes. Bad move - fractures began forming around the exposed portions of the inclusions and were heading inward. Next I simply shrunk it, carving out the inclusions, but never got around to polishing it.

I was looking at the turtle back lensing yesterday and an idea struck - most likely because I've had this pseudo-faceting on the brain lately.

It is in need of re-polishing. Again - trust me - there are lots of small scratches on it's surface. For some reason they don't seem to show (or not so much anyway) in the pictures, so - I figured I'd go ahead and post some as this is what'll look like in person when it is re-polished.

UPDATE 1: Almost forgot to include the grind paths used to make this - that was kind of the whole point.

UPDATE 2: This was done, except for the polish which was done with a dremel and 14K diamond, on a combination of hard and soft flat laps (faceting discs followed by diamond sanding discs).

Looks like a fish to me - you?

1 FRONT-LIT

4 BACK-LIT

And I just now found a picture of this piece when it was in transition from form 1 to 2 - notice a size difference? Well now it's a cab! chuckle

Thanks for looking!
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2012, 04:49:31 pm »

Frank, it has much charm. I really like the back lit pictures and the designs within the stone is very interesting.
Yet another notch in your bedpost.....(freudian slip)... I meant your gun belt:)
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2012, 05:03:57 pm »

Thanks Sarita - would you believe I tripped and fell and that thing came plopping out of my forehead!?
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2012, 05:11:40 pm »

LOLOLOL Yes I believe in magic:) LOLOLOL
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2012, 08:21:47 pm »

my newly-found mission of carving out a style for myself (which is coming along surprisingly well - and it's based largely on the pieces you see in this thread).

Surprisingly????  saved2 I think not!

Its your impeccable planing and quest for precision that got you stand out results.
As said before, I can't wrap my mind around your creations and do the usual thing of trying it out too. And this is exactly what makes it so fascinating. I don't often write in this tread, simply because you consistently render me speechless.

Way to go Frank, you found your niche, and have become a technical stand out artist. For that, you are one of those people we come back every day to the forum, eagerly awaiting to see more.

In closing; the shield is absolutely wonderful, I envy you for your precision.  eyes1

Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2012, 08:54:18 pm »

Thanks Kurt! It's nowhere near as precise as I'd like (I know you get that - hard to satisfy oneself) but it's definitely the hardest of this type I've done yet. If you can believe it, my kcc entry took me twice as long (damn rounded edges... I WILL get the hang of that if it kills me!)

Anyway, I'm grateful for the kind words yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

lonelygems

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2012, 07:53:51 am »

Another great design and well done Frank......you have very much interesting new concept. This is new cab designs for real jewelry designers. I enjoying your concepts Frank.....this last cab i'm sure its need an artistic eye and good hands to make it....only this way one can make it and no chance for industrialize/ fabrication in this type so people has no chance to undervalue. You did what it wanna be....." you talked well with your fortifications agate "  hatsoff hatsoff hatsoff
Report Spam   Logged

Daniel
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2012, 09:00:55 am »

Thanks Daniel! yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Up
  Print